Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TPIS air intake

Topless

Corvette
1992 Convt w/hard top; 2004 Z06 Z16; 1962 327/300
Does anyone use this, or one like it? (Air intake through the radiator cavity) On the web site, it says that care should be taken in wet weather. Anyone have experience with this in the rain??

Thanks.
Mike

http://www.tpis.com/

Air Intake

Hey Topless, I have a 92 lt1 Aqua metalic coupe. I just finished putting in a Breathless Performance Vortex Ram Air System,a Hypertech chip and a 160 deg. stat. My air system also required cutting of the radiator shroud. The only warning I received about rain was not to drive through deep water as the air system would suck it up. Driving in the rain is no big deal. :upthumbs

Good deal. Thanks.

-Mike

The TPIS racing air intake that I bought 4 or 5 years ago for the L98 doesn't even use an air filter. This was unacceptable so I returned it.

Quick funny story. I built my own ram air behind the license plate on my 85 when I modded it with 94 body panels all around. I actually bored a hole through, used drier duct, and plumbed fresh air right into the air filter mount.

The fellow I sold it do drove through a hiddeous rain puddle and ..........you guessed it! He sucked water in and locked the engine up tight. Bent a couple of rods. It was not pretty.

So, if the TPIS is not much different than my home made one, I can understand the concern.

Air Intake

just wanted to let you guys know that the Breathless Performance Ram Air System does come with a K&N type air filter. ____John :w

Like Chris said The only time Id REALLY worry about the water issue is if you use the Funnel License plate there NOTHING to stop water cept the Air filter...

Even with the box cut try to stay out of the Water (Like we usually do anyway)

Thanks for the info. I try to steer around the puddles, but sometimes they still find you! I will probably go ahead with it next month.

-Mike

Hey guys,
Not so much a comment on the TPIS. I use the SLP triple threat (3 K&Ns). They don't require you to cut the shroud. But I did anyway and what a difference in air flow. Now to be safe because of the issue with hitting a big puddle I made a slight adaptation. I cut the hole in an oblong shape. I then took an eaves vent (ya know for your house). The vent is about 6"x9". The vent has metal screen on the underside to stop major debris getting in the engine compartment. But the vent is slatted and I have the slats facing forward. The air filters can suck all the air they want. Rain, even a big puddle, will barely get through. I took some thin rubber weatherseal and laid it around the vent before I screwed it down so it makes a nice seal. I drive mine to work every day, rain or shine. The corner compartments get soaked because of the headlights. The middle area around the radiator doesn't hardly get wet at all. Never seen water on the top side of the eaves vent where the filters are sucking air. Works like a charm. Total cost $2.00.
Graham

A good idea. I was just thinking about that debris thing today. An excellent idea.

Mike

vms4evr said:
Hey guys,
Not so much a comment on the TPIS. I use the SLP triple threat (3 K&Ns). They don't require you to cut the shroud. But I did anyway and what a difference in air flow. Now to be safe because of the issue with hitting a big puddle I made a slight adaptation. I cut the hole in an oblong shape. I then took an eaves vent (ya know for your house). The vent is about 6"x9". The vent has metal screen on the underside to stop major debris getting in the engine compartment. But the vent is slatted and I have the slats facing forward. The air filters can suck all the air they want. Rain, even a big puddle, will barely get through. I took some thin rubber weatherseal and laid it around the vent before I screwed it down so it makes a nice seal. I drive mine to work every day, rain or shine. The corner compartments get soaked because of the headlights. The middle area around the radiator doesn't hardly get wet at all. Never seen water on the top side of the eaves vent where the filters are sucking air. Works like a charm. Total cost $2.00.
Graham

Any chance you can snap some pictures?

Chris, Mike,
Yeah it works well. And it actually looks clean. I got the brushed metal one. But you can find ones that are painted black so they would almost dissapear in there.
I'll snap some pics this weekend Chris and get them posted. I blew an upper radiator hose section so I have a project for tomorrow. I'll get pics with the air filters in place and removed. I'll see if I can get a decent one also from the outside looking up through the front cowl opening. Hopefully by Sunday I'll have them posted.
Graham

Ok I got the pics and they came out ok. I saved them compressed and put them in a Zip file. If anyone wants them you'll need to send me an email so I can reply. The Zip file is 300K. 4 pics.
My ISP screwed up my website and I have to redo it from scratch so that won't happen for a bit.
Graham

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom