Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tpms problems

wazzup

Corvette
2003 C5 SPIRAL GREY ANNIVERSARY COUPE
Well I know this is a recurring problem for many,however I am a new member with a recently purchased 2003 C5 Euro Spec and I am based in Spain Europe.I have experienced inttermittent DIC messages "Service Tyre pressure sensors",my question, I am about to fit new tyres and ideally I would like to do away with the sensors and just fit normal valves,will this have an effect on engine performance,I have seen on other forums that it can make the cars traction control kick in when you dont want it to,or their is a reduction in engine power.I have however been told by others in th UK that I can ignore what I have seen as this will not happen.I know in the USA that it is illegal not to have operational sensors but here in Europe it is not.
I would be very grateful for a definitive answer to my question,I will sleep easier,my car has only done 23,000 miles. The previous owner hardly used it,so I have changed all the fluids and I am replacing the battery with a optima Red Top as the current battery shows slight leakage,your forum was recomended to me by Tom at Claremont Corvette.

You can use standard valve stems. It will have no effect on anything else but you will get a DIC message to service the sensors but you can reset that. A lot of Europeans just upgrade to the 2001-2004 system from Cultrag.com, a Forum vendor here. Runs about $500 for new RFA, Keys, FOBs and sensors. If you had a Tech 2 you could even program the TPM sensors out and have no messages.

There is no requirement to have pressure sensors in the USA.

Mr. Sam

Thank you for your advice I was told this is the best forum.
My garage has a generic device and was able to connect to the PCM via the OBD port but did not know how to navigate to the files to disable TMS.
I will live with the DIC message,as the sensors work one minute and fail randomly.
It makes you wonder how we ever managed our tyres before the introduction of TPMS ....
Happy Days

You need a Tech 2 to change the RPO codes. No other scanner will do it. They are controlled by the BCM and not the PCM.

Good luck.

Mr. Sam

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom