Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trac Control and Competion Mode.

T

txmca

Mine is a 98, auto, with the std axle ratio, I am running on Nitto Extremes. My question is does a 98 with just the reg axle have competion mode? All I have on my console is the Trac control button, and I tried to put it in comp mode by holding the botton down, but nothing ever came up. I can't make my back tires spin. Do I change tires, doing something wrong, or does the car just need to go in for service? Please help.....My girl drove it the other day and was laughing because my car wouldn't "Catch a Scratch";help :j

Competion mode only comes into play with Active Handling. If your Vette does not have Active Handling then it wont come up. It sure as heck should spin the tires if you cut off Traction Controll. :)

Look on your regular production option (RPO) code sticker on the underside of the driver side storage compartment lid in the back. All of your factory installed options should be coded there. The code for the Active Handling System is JL4. It was an option in '98. It became standard equipment beginning with the 2001 model year, I believe.

If you have it it will say on the console Active Handling. :)

I don't have active handling, only button is the trac botton, I can spin my wheels if i cut my wheels left or right, but it will only spin for a second or two. I am just trying to give a little show, when the little nitro honda's and toyo's come around, but I am starting to worry if my car does need service, I could do it in my TransAm, but this car is sooooo much better, I just can't get a wheel spin, I bought the car used with 45k, it now has 55k, never tried to make the tires spin until now, I baby this car.

Your rear tires should definitely spin. I had a '98 like you and it would smoke the tires for half a block. With only 55K the motor should have plenty of life left.

You might not have active handling. The same button is used for both traction control and active handling.

TXMCA,
According to the Corvette Black Book (available at you local book store) Active Handling was introduced interim 98 model year. RPO # JL4. Yes if it doesn't say ACTIVE HANDLING on the console or have the RPO code listed in the glove box you won't have Active Handling. May I suggest buying Corvette Black Book for $14.95. The book will list all production # for your model car. In addition by using your vin# tell when in the production secquence
your car was made, which can help on service bulletin's and recalls.
v/r
THE YAV

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom