Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Track 1/4 mile time

93Rubie

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
Next week, if the weather holds, I will be taking my Vette to the drag strip for a test and tune night. My first time and I am wondering if any of you have any tips.

I figure on putting on my worn out GS-C's on the back and lowering tire pressures to about 20. I think 3K is about right for a launch RPM, should I just let out on the clutch or ride it out? Also, ASR on or off, my thought it to take it off, as embarrassing as wheel spin is, stalling would be worse. Should I warm up my tires or no?

Your thoughts/tips?

Well, yesterday I did it I ran the Vette down the track. I was a nervous wreck my first run and had a 1 sec reaction time but I still ran a 13.88 at 100.69MPH. And beat my buddy in his Mustang, :D Water temps my first two runs where at around 210-220. Second run I missed 4th and got 6th and still ran a 14.3 at 85MPH. A guy next to me in the staging lanes noticed by old GS-C's and told me how I might launch the car better. I had about 16lbs of air in them which is fine. 3/4 of a tank of gas. He said to roll though the water box slowly and just get on the other side. Then do a little burn out just to clean them off. Then about 3K and slip the clutch just a little. I did as he said and had a .3378 reaction time with a 2.2620 60ft time. Had wheel spin for first 20-30 feet, then more when I shifted it and then WOT in second for 20-30 feet then ran it though 3rd and into 4th. ET. 13.69 at 104.3. I knew I had a great run going when I got started off the line good. I don't think I could have ran it better. Water temp. was 175 when I started the run.

4th RUN last of the night air temp was about 76, water temp about 185. Ran my best by a slim margin. Reaction time worse at .4988 60ft time almost identical at 2.2655. ET. was 13.68 at 105.07MPH.

Pure stock 93 6spd. LT1 coupe other than Open air box lid with K&N, muffler eliminators, and X-pipe in place of resonator. Minus my spare tire as well. Needless to say THIS was my FIRST time ever at a 1/4 mile track with anything and I still cannot believe I ran as good as I did. :beer:louOnce I get the vids uploaded to youtube, you all and can see and hear me rip her up through the gears. Can you tell I had a good time and LOVE MY CAR!!!!:w

Well, yesterday I did it I ran the Vette down the track. I was a nervous wreck my first run and had a 1 sec reaction time but I still ran a 13.88 at 100.69MPH. And beat my buddy in his Mustang, :D Water temps my first two runs where at around 210-220. Second run I missed 4th and got 6th and still ran a 14.3 at 85MPH. A guy next to me in the staging lanes noticed by old GS-C's and told me how I might launch the car better. I had about 16lbs of air in them which is fine. 3/4 of a tank of gas. He said to roll though the water box slowly and just get on the other side. Then do a little burn out just to clean them off. Then about 3K and slip the clutch just a little. I did as he said and had a .3378 reaction time with a 2.2620 60ft time. Had wheel spin for first 20-30 feet, then more when I shifted it and then WOT in second for 20-30 feet then ran it though 3rd and into 4th. ET. 13.69 at 104.3. I knew I had a great run going when I got started off the line good. I don't think I could have ran it better. Water temp. was 175 when I started the run.

4th RUN last of the night air temp was about 76, water temp about 185. Ran my best by a slim margin. Reaction time worse at .4988 60ft time almost identical at 2.2655. ET. was 13.68 at 105.07MPH.

Pure stock 93 6spd. LT1 coupe other than Open air box lid with K&N, muffler eliminators, and X-pipe in place of resonator. Minus my spare tire as well. Needless to say THIS was my FIRST time ever at a 1/4 mile track with anything and I still cannot believe I ran as good as I did. :beer:louOnce I get the vids uploaded to youtube, you all and can see and hear me rip her up through the gears. Can you tell I had a good time and LOVE MY CAR!!!!:w

Thats good for an "atta boy" ! !
congrats!
The goal of the night was to have fun and it sounds like you did.
I'm going to have to find the local 1/4 track around here and see what mine will do now. Actually, its more about seeing what I can do...I'm sure the car will do well!;)

I think 3K is about right for a launch RPM, should I just let out on the clutch or ride it out?
Launching stick C4's is a art form that only comes from practice ( lots )
2.2XX 60 ft is good for a beginner
Some more experienced guys struggle to go under 2.0 with drag radials

track 1/4 mile time

You don't want to air radials down that low because they will cup and not give you a good contact patch, about 25-30 lbs min.Also don't go through the water box go around it and just spin your tires enough to get the dirt off them,and doing a burnout does not help street tires get sticky it just wastes tread.I would try 2000-2500 max on your launch.good luck

You don't want to air radials down that low because they will cup and not give you a good contact patch, about 25-30 lbs min.Also don't go through the water box go around it and just spin your tires enough to get the dirt off them,and doing a burnout does not help street tires get sticky it just wastes tread.I would try 2000-2500 max on your launch.good luck

I'll have to try to higher air pressure. I cannot go around the water box at this particular track not wide enough. What was suggested to me and I did, which worked. Was to creep through the water box and when the guy tells you to stop go a little further then like you said spin them just enough to clean them off a little. I tried 2500RPM and I bogged the motor bad, 3000 was ok with about 20-30 feet of wheel spin coming off the line with about 2.26 60 foot times. I think I'll try about 2750 RPMS.

Very nice run. I race at a track up here in the "sky." This altitude is killer for n/a engines, so far my best run is a 14.62s @ 97.2 mph at 4,500 - 5,000 ft.

Still, like you, i race for fun, the leader of my "car association" drives a '01 Mustang Cobra, Lower miles, 6-speed manual, same amount of bolt-ons as me, and kept talking crap about my car. I just give him the we will find out at the track reply.

On my first run ever, i ran a 14.76s @ 96.55mph, he ran a 16.1s. We've raced several times after that, with me running mid-upper 14's and him running high 15's - low 16's, even with a tune and drag radials added to his precious cobra. He still complains about why he runs slower times then me... Oh well, hardcore mustang guys... Kind of tough to get them to see the overall picture and make them open minded. (I am open minded about many cars, whether it be a turboed 4 cylinder to a beefy v8 dodge challenger to a screaming V12 of a exotic.)

Anyways, i think i can reach a solid 14.5s if i can get some better grip when launching and optimize shifting a little bit more. Again this altitude is killer, an estimated 20% loss of power. I guess when its all said and done to my car, im aiming for high 12s-low 13s at altitude.

Very nice run. I race at a track up here in the "sky." This altitude is killer for n/a engines, so far my best run is a 14.62s @ 97.2 mph at 4,500 - 5,000 ft.

Still, like you, i race for fun, the leader of my "car association" drives a '01 Mustang Cobra, Lower miles, 6-speed manual, same amount of bolt-ons as me, and kept talking crap about my car. I just give him the we will find out at the track reply.

On my first run ever, i ran a 14.76s @ 96.55mph, he ran a 16.1s. We've raced several times after that, with me running mid-upper 14's and him running high 15's - low 16's, even with a tune and drag radials added to his precious cobra. He still complains about why he runs slower times then me... Oh well, hardcore mustang guys... Kind of tough to get them to see the overall picture and make them open minded. (I am open minded about many cars, whether it be a turboed 4 cylinder to a beefy v8 dodge challenger to a screaming V12 of a exotic.)

Anyways, i think i can reach a solid 14.5s if i can get some better grip when launching and optimize shifting a little bit more. Again this altitude is killer, an estimated 20% loss of power. I guess when its all said and done to my car, im aiming for high 12s-low 13s at altitude.

You;re doing great with that altitude ! Last time I was "up" there, I was doing good to walk to the other end of the road much less get there in 14 seconds !

The Mustang guys....:chuckle always defensive.

always playing catch up. I always ask them if beating a vette is so important than why don;t you just go buy one?

My best friend is currently throwing his entire life savings into his Fiancees 93 gt convert 'stang trying to get caught up.....its kinda funny. He';ll call me every week with a progress report, the new suspension, the motor, now the $5000 in brakes he's looking at. I heard that and laughed and said, "you're assuming that you're gonna have need for that much braking power!":rotfl afterall, its still a Ford....

Gotta love 'em for hanging with their cars

Really your buddy with his 01 Cobra Mustang only ran a 16.1? Those cars have 320HP stock he should have been right around your time especially with mods. Maybe he couldn't drive it, IDK? I know a thing or two about Mustangs, they are great cars in there own right, one thing is for sure they are cheaper to buy and modify. Much bigger aftermarket than what is available for C4's. Insurance is actually more expensive. Go figure.
The new 5.0L and even the V6 is an impressive piece of machinery, especially considering the price. Lets face it 305HP and 30MPG sounds with a performance and handling package for around 25K sounds good to me.

I should let it be known I am a Ford Technician for a living, and yes I catch a ton of flak for driving a Corvette, but I have caught a lot less since I ran respectable times. I just keep my mouth shut and let my Corvette do the talking.

You;re doing great with that altitude ! Last time I was "up" there, I was doing good to walk to the other end of the road much less get there in 14 seconds !

The Mustang guys....:chuckle always defensive.

always playing catch up. I always ask them if beating a vette is so important than why don;t you just go buy one?

My best friend is currently throwing his entire life savings into his Fiancees 93 gt convert 'stang trying to get caught up.....its kinda funny. He';ll call me every week with a progress report, the new suspension, the motor, now the $5000 in brakes he's looking at. I heard that and laughed and said, "you're assuming that you're gonna have need for that much braking power!":rotfl afterall, its still a Ford....

Gotta love 'em for hanging with their cars

Fox Body Mustangs had drums in the rear and puny discs up front, when you go to the drag stirp the last lane to turn off the track is for Mustangs, can't stop worth a darn. Then again I know a guy with a later Fox that has 14 inchers all the way around.

here is one way to lower your ets about .2 tenths . move your air temp sensor to the front of the car .you can buy a kir=t to do it or just spice some 16 gauge wire to its new position and get a brass plug to plug off where it was . c4 get heat soak bad while sitting in the staging lanes . this change will stop that .

I went to the track again yesterday night. Had three runs as follows:

1st run 60 foot time 2.23, 13.64@105.61 MPH
Water temp 190. Air temp about 75. Red Lighted at -.0059

2nd Run 60 foot time 2.17-car hooked on my old GS-C's. 13.64@102.41, I missed 4th and then got it into 4th but lost time and speed:cry. Water temp about 180. Air temp 70. Reaction time was .182

3rd Run 60 foot time 2.28-I forgot ASR was on and did not get any heat in my tires, when I launched with ASR off, I got lots of wheel spin.:cryStone cold tires.
But...I ran a 13.52@108.83 MPH!!! Water temp 180, air temp a cool 60+ ish. Reaction time .318-was I sleeping???

I would love to have my first 1/8th mile from my 2nd run combined with my last 1/8th mile on my 3rd run bet I could have ran a 13.4 something. :duh

I used 38 psi fronts and 20 in the rears, seemed to work better than lower psi in the rear like I did last time. Thanks to those that suggested that.

All in all a good night, was happy with what I ran, got a goal for next time. This was only my 2nd time racing any car at the strip so I can not complain too much.

I was kind of surprised my C4 with just a open lid with K&N, muffler eliminators and an x-pipe was running times almost identical to two C5 automatics. Huh??:confused Either the C5 auto's are a little weak or LT1's are a little better than everybody likes to think they are. Not bashing LS engines just everybody talks S*** about how LT1's stink and here I am running with LS1 C5's. :louCan you tell I'm still excited??:D

I went to the track again yesterday night. Had three runs as follows:

1st run 60 foot time 2.23, 13.64@105.61 MPH
Water temp 190. Air temp about 75. Red Lighted at -.0059

2nd Run 60 foot time 2.17-car hooked on my old GS-C's. 13.64@102.41, I missed 4th and then got it into 4th but lost time and speed:cry. Water temp about 180. Air temp 70. Reaction time was .182

3rd Run 60 foot time 2.28-I forgot ASR was on and did not get any heat in my tires, when I launched with ASR off, I got lots of wheel spin.:cryStone cold tires.
But...I ran a 13.52@108.83 MPH!!! Water temp 180, air temp a cool 60+ ish. Reaction time .318-was I sleeping???

I would love to have my first 1/8th mile from my 2nd run combined with my last 1/8th mile on my 3rd run bet I could have ran a 13.4 something. :duh

I used 38 psi fronts and 20 in the rears, seemed to work better than lower psi in the rear like I did last time. Thanks to those that suggested that.

All in all a good night, was happy with what I ran, got a goal for next time. This was only my 2nd time racing any car at the strip so I can not complain too much.

I was kind of surprised my C4 with just a open lid with K&N, muffler eliminators and an x-pipe was running times almost identical to two C5 automatics. Huh??:confused Either the C5 auto's are a little weak or LT1's are a little better than everybody likes to think they are. Not bashing LS engines just everybody talks S*** about how LT1's stink and here I am running with LS1 C5's. :louCan you tell I'm still excited??:D

Think you got it rough ?????

everybody talks about my L98 like it came out of a lawn mower.:mad

A damn fast mower.......:chuckle
I just get tired of having to prove it.

Red Lighted at -.0059
At least you are headed in the right direction :thumb
Don Garlits said
" if you don't red light every now and then, you aren't trying hard enough"

Reaction time is unimportant if you are only chasing personal best times.
Is everything if you want to win; that 0.050 difference on the start line can let you beat a faster car.
Shallow stage and leave on the last yellow.If you wait for the green you are too late

Yeah, those that talk crap about LT1's and L98 have not driven them is all I can figure. That or they are just jealous they don't have a clamshell hood. :beer

I'm not to awful concerned about reaction times as my only reason for running is for fun and to see what I and the car can do. I do shallow stage and try to leave on the last yellow light. Might well try to get better reaction times while I am at it though.

Yeah, those that talk crap about LT1's and L98 have not driven them is all I can figure. That or they are just jealous they don't have a clamshell hood. :beer

I'm not to awful concerned about reaction times as my only reason for running is for fun and to see what I and the car can do. I do shallow stage and try to leave on the last yellow light. Might well try to get better reaction times while I am at it though.

The track...all about fun. Personal best. NOT the other guy..

Out on the street,

Tho I drive thru the valley of the shadow of death, I fear NO C6....because MY vette is the baddest son of a bitch in that Valley !

Mine is at least probably the loudest in that valley. Looks good too...:beer I look at it this way to, your car maybe faster but do you have the balls to run me? I'll run anybody I don't care. I was at a car show guy brought in a beautiful 1963 Corvette Drag Car, perfectly clean and pristine. 540 Merlin Big Block loud and nasty. Had a wheelie bar and drag chute. Ask the guy what it ran, he said he never had it to the track. WTF??? I could not build a car like that and NOT race it at least once. Gotta see what she can do, ya know?
vette101.jpg

the reason you ran faster with the asr on is you are most likely spinning big time on your gear changes

Mine is at least probably the loudest in that valley. Looks good too...:beer I look at it this way to, your car maybe faster but do you have the balls to run me? I'll run anybody I don't care. I was at a car show guy brought in a beautiful 1963 Corvette Drag Car, perfectly clean and pristine. 540 Merlin Big Block loud and nasty. Had a wheelie bar and drag chute. Ask the guy what it ran, he said he never had it to the track. WTF??? I could not build a car like that and NOT race it at least once. Gotta see what she can do, ya know?
View attachment 995

Gawd, I love that color ! Chrome 'blades....perfect !:beer

Yessir...whats the point of all the effort without purpose?

We have a local car club "cruise-in" on Saturday nites at a big grocery store parking lot around here. There are cars rolling in there with BIG street legal drag tires and some are burning fuel. Not one of them arrives on a trailer, and most are as baddass as it gets. Theres some pretty ones too but they ALL get run. The temptation to "show off" is tempered by the 6-8 sherriffs deputies that hang out just to prevent tire smoke as they all leave later in the evening.

Cars were meant to move, to reach a destination, asap. 1/4 miles are just extreme examples of the design intent.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom