Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Traction Control vs. Active handling vs. Competition mode

Traction Control Function When To Use And When Not To Use!

:) Hib where would I find this? Is this the build sheet for the car? Or is it a label that would be on the car somewhere? Hey while I got you here do you have any idea why my HUD unit on the dash would be crooked; kind of like it slipped a little bit and shows that it is not seated right on the dash pad, shows a little gap on the right side like it is not quite in the groove on the dash pad. It works as designed but it is just a little irriatating that it is just a little crooked. Seems like a lot of work to remove the dash pad and etc. Is there any way of straightening this up without all of this or not? Most people probably would not even notice it, in fact I didn't until I bought the car and started cleaning the inside of the windshield, not a big deal just looked like it slipped a little. Like I said it works good and appears to be tight, doesn't move around or anything. Thought maybe you might know if there is anything that I can do short of taking the dash appart. :confused

Thanks,
Bill :w

Hib Halverson said:
Gorgon is spot-on.

You also can tell if the car has Active Handling by looking on the RPO label for JL4

Hib thanks for the information; but where would I find this RPO label? Is it on the car somewhere or are you talking about the build sheet?

:confused Hey while I have you my HUDS Dsiplay unit on the dash has slippled or something, it is just a little crooked on the dash pad; is there any way to straigten this up short of removing the dash pad and everything else? The HUD works as designed and doesn't appear to be loose or anything, just irratates me that it is a little crooked, most people probably wouldn't even notice it. Thought you might have some idea or maybe have run into this before.

Thanks,

Hib Halverson said:
Gorgon is spot-on.

You also can tell if the car has Active Handling by looking on the RPO label for JL4

2000C-5 Black Coupe Owner said:
Hib,

I really appreciate the information; :upthumbs this cleared up quite a bit for me. When I get it out I will be able to tell if I have ACTIVE HANDLING by holding the traction control button down for what 5 seconds? Will this display a signal on the dash or DIC?
Thanks again,
With the car running and stopped, hold down the traction control button for at least 5 seconds (I suggest longer, just to be sure). If you have active handling, it will say so on the DIC. I believe it reads "competitive driving".

I'm still confused...I don't understand how/when it should be used/changed. This thread has been helpful, but I need to study it... A LOT more. Everyday is a "competitive driving" day in Atlanta. Thanks!

Susan
:w

DRTH VTR said:
With the car running and stopped, hold down the traction control button for at least 5 seconds (I suggest longer, just to be sure). If you have active handling, it will say so on the DIC. I believe it reads "competitive driving".

Susan-
The "Competitive Driving" mode is for racing, such as autocross, drag racing or track days. It is usually unnecessary in street driving. Turning the system completely off is not advised for street driving. There is no reason to change the operation of your ABS/TCS/SES unless you're going to do some type of aggressive driving where you want TCS off or you want to race the car without stability enhancement. Generally, only the most experienced race drivers gain handling performance with SES off.

As for the earlier question about the RPO label and the HUD...if you open the glove box door you'll find the label and I have no experience servicing the HUD as the one in my car performs flawlessly (so far). I'd consult the factory service manual for your model year for instructions on how to work on the HUD.

Thanks for the info I will check it out, pretty sure I just have traction control but not positve yet.

Thanks for the help,

Hib Halverson said:
Gorgon is spot-on.

MsSchroder said:
For some reason I keep getting confused about this so I thought I would pour through the manual (again) and previous posts on this topic to see if I can get it straight. I would appreciate any corrections or comments.

This is what I have gathered from various sections of the manual:

Summary
There are 3 modes
1) Traction Control Off, Active handling Off
2) Traction Control On, Active handling On
3) Competetive Driving = Traction Control Off, Active Handling On

Traction Control (TCS)
  • This limits wheel spin by working the rear brakes and reducing engine power.
  • TCS comes on automatically when you start the car.
  • If it engages (i.e. if you start spinning the wheels and it kicks in to reduce spin), the DIC shows TRACTION SYS ACTIVE (momentarily)
  • To toggle TCS on or off, press the Active Handling button on the center console briefly. This will also toggle the Active handling System in conjunction with TCS. The DIC will briefly display "TRAC/ACT HNDLG -ON" or "TRAC/ACT HNDLG -OFF".
  • If it is OFF, then the skidding-corvette-rear-end light (TCS light on the instrument panel) is ON.
Active Handling System
  • Active Handling helps maintain directional control by selectively applying any one of the vehicles brakes.
    (The video has an interesting segment on this feature)
  • Active Handling comes on automatically when you start the car.
  • If it engages to regain vehicle control, the DIC says "ACTIVE HANDLING" (briefly).
  • If you turn the Active Handling System Off, the traction control system will also be turned off. It is toggled on or off the same way the TCS system is toggled (see above)
  • If it is OFF, then the skidding-corvette-rear-end light (TCS light on the instrument panel) is ON.
Competition Mode:
  • Competitive Driving mode allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels while the Active Handling system helps steer the vehicle by selective brake application.
  • When on, the DIC displays "COMPETITIVE DRIVING"
  • To turn on Competition Mode, press the Active Handling button on the center console for more than 5 seconds.
  • To turn it off, press the button briefly. Does the active handling/traction control then turn ON?
The manual states that ABS remains on with the traction control and Active Handling Systems off. I assume this means it also remains on when in Competitive Driving mode?
====================================================
I have read and re-read all of this and now it is time to take 2 Tylenol...I'm still a little confused ...sorta on the same wave length as You Tammy...;shrug..I am going to rest now...my head hurts:L ;)

[QUOTE='04 Torch Red]====================================================
I have read and re-read all of this and now it is time to take 2 Tylenol...I'm still a little confused ...sorta on the same wave length as You Tammy...;shrug..I am going to rest now...my head hurts:L ;)[/QUOTE]
:confused I have read and reread this as well, I guess when I get mine back out the only way I am going to know for sure is try it. I have read this again and again, both in the owners manual and the service/shop manual and still not real sure what it says. The true test will be to try it I guess.

I know I do not have the selective ride control but I am not sure about the other. I really, really, really do have a head acke really bad need something more than tylenol that is for sure!!!!!!!! :bash

It is not that difficult.

Traction control on limits wheelspin under power.

Active Handling on helps protect against spin (yaw).

Competitive driving allows more wheel spin, but leaves the yaw control on.

The default when first starting the car is both active handling and traction control on.

Pushing the button in the console for less than 5 seconds turns both off.

Pushing the button on the console for more than 5 seconds puts it in competitive mode, with traction control turned down, and active handling on.

Thanks

Thanks for the clearifcation on traction control/active handling/etc. I have not messed with this too much so I am not sure what I do or don't have for sure. I have mine put to bed for the winter but when I get it back it that is one of the first things I am going to investigate.

Thanks again, and HAVE A VERY HAPPY, HEALTHY NEW YEAR with many more to come.

Short version-

Leave it on almost all of the time; it is a safety feature. Put it in competitive driving when you do just that. I put it in this mode at the drag strip. I do not see me turning off active handling, unless I take a competitive driving class, like Bondourant or a similar class. I suspect that the computer algorithm is better than I am 99+% of the time. I would hate to crash my car because I overestimated my driving skills.

DRTH VTR said:
Short version-

Leave it on almost all of the time; it is a safety feature. Put it in competitive driving when you do just that. I put it in this mode at the drag strip. I do not see me turning off active handling, unless I take a competitive driving class, like Bondourant or a similar class. I suspect that the computer algorithm is better than I am 99+% of the time. I would hate to crash my car because I overestimated my driving skills.
:upthumbs Right on brother! Like I said I haven't had mine that long and for the most part plan on leaving it in the default on mode; other than when I want to beat on it a little bit! With the price of tires that will be very little anyway; just wanted to get a clear understanding of what it really does and how to engage and disengage as needed.

Save the wave,

:w Bill

2000C-5 Black Coupe Owner said:
:confused I have read and reread this as well, I guess when I get mine back out the only way I am going to know for sure is try it. I have read this again and again, both in the owners manual and the service/shop manual and still not real sure what it says. The true test will be to try it I guess.

I know I do not have the selective ride control but I am not sure about the other. I really, really, really do have a head acke really bad need something more than tylenol that is for sure!!!!!!!! :bash

:L :w

DRTH VTR said:
Short version-

Amen to that!:upthumbs :upthumbs

Tracktion control

I pushed that button one time and took off from a light and when I was across the cross street the car did a fast 90 degree turn and jumped onto a freshly planted median. Had to replace the door, fender and rocker panel as I had slid up against a baby Palm tree, bending it over and doing the damage. It took two tow trucks to get my out of there.

I wish i had active handling.... Is the F45 Option similar to active handling? The active Handling wasn't offered in 97 otherwise id have it.

No.
Unfortunately, F45, the so-called "Selective Real Time Damping" is not "Active Handling". It's a set of ride-adaptive shocks which can change valving in near real time. "RTD" was the uplevel shock package from 97-02

Active Handling and "Competitive Driving" Mode

On my '99 Convertible, "Active Handling" was an extra-cost OPTION. It is identified by the 3-position rotary switch on the console, just to the right of the "Traction Control" pushbutton.

In every day driving, on all types of roads (wet, dry, sandy, etc) the "Traction Control" system will prevent sudden spin-outs in a loss of traction condition, which could be caused by a slippery road surface, or excessive throttle input by the driver, or any combination thereof. The "Competitive Driving" mode, invoked by pressing and HOLDING the "Traction Control" pushbutton for at least 5 seconds with the engine running, turns OFF the Traction Control, allowing SOME wheel spin, but still keeps the Active Handling system ON, which will allow for more aggressive driving (on a track) without the sudden loss of power caused by the Traction Control system detecting wheel spin (the Traction Control System cuts power to the engine momentarily whenever it detects wheel spin, in addition to applying any necessary braking to keep the car under control). It could be considered the "ideal" setup for "amateurs" for track use - it allows the driver full control of the throttle while still maintaining a margin of safety, should he get the car into a spin - it would take over and help recover in s SPLIT SECOND.

In a recent Autocross event, I was alerted to the presence of "Competitive Driving" mode by a highly skilled Autocrosser, who told me how to use it and why. It made a TWO SECOND difference in my lap times with it turned ON, compared to my previous runs with the car in "standard" mode - EVERYTHING turned ON. Before using "Competitive Driving" mode, I could feel the car cut engine power whenever I got too aggressive on the throttle - you could feel it "bog down" momentarily, and I knew my lap time would be slower, AND IT WAS.

ONE FINAL NOTE: If you shut the car off, you must re-engage "Competitive Driving" mode again, as the car's systems revert back to "normal" operation (everything ON) when you shut of the ignition. :cool!:

On my '99 Convertible, "Active Handling" was an extra-cost OPTION. It is identified by the 3-position rotary switch on the console, just to the right of the "Traction Control" pushbutton.

In every day driving, on all types of roads (wet, dry, sandy, etc) the "Traction Control" system will prevent sudden spin-outs in a loss of traction condition, which could be caused by a slippery road surface, or excessive throttle input by the driver, or any combination thereof. The "Competitive Driving" mode, invoked by pressing and HOLDING the "Traction Control" pushbutton for at least 5 seconds with the engine running, turns OFF the Traction Control, allowing SOME wheel spin, but still keeps the Active Handling system ON, which will allow for more aggressive driving (on a track) without the sudden loss of power caused by the Traction Control system detecting wheel spin (the Traction Control System cuts power to the engine momentarily whenever it detects wheel spin, in addition to applying any necessary braking to keep the car under control). It could be considered the "ideal" setup for "amateurs" for track use - it allows the driver full control of the throttle while still maintaining a margin of safety, should he get the car into a spin - it would take over and help recover in s SPLIT SECOND.

In a recent Autocross event, I was alerted to the presence of "Competitive Driving" mode by a highly skilled Autocrosser, who told me how to use it and why. It made a TWO SECOND difference in my lap times with it turned ON, compared to my previous runs with the car in "standard" mode - EVERYTHING turned ON. Before using "Competitive Driving" mode, I could feel the car cut engine power whenever I got too aggressive on the throttle - you could feel it "bog down" momentarily, and I knew my lap time would be slower, AND IT WAS.

ONE FINAL NOTE: If you shut the car off, you must re-engage "Competitive Driving" mode again, as the car's systems revert back to "normal" operation (everything ON) when you shut of the ignition. :cool!:

AZ99C5: You didn't mention the effect of the Competitive Driving mode on ABS and that is at least as important as the disengagement of Traction Control in an autocrossing environment. Competive Driving mode retains full ABS. As a developing autocrosser, I discovered the technique of full, very hard braking into tight corners without regard for wheel locking. The ABS will catch impending wheel lockup on all wheels independently and allow maximum deceleration without skidding off the outside of the turn. I appreciate this most in situations where "slam-braking" would allow the front to push right off the outside of the turn (understeer). With ABS on, you can feel the ABS engage and the front end just bites and pulls the car into the turn. The C5, and particularly the Z06 with stability control (including ABS) can make even a novice driver look very good if they understand the dynamics of the systems.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom