Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trade for Harley

pasvorto

I have a 1999 Harley Fat Boy (value approx $15,000). A guy I know wants to trade a late model Vette (I believe it to be an 86) for it. The Vette has 4,500 miles (it was stored for a long time). It is red with a white convertible top. The top has some tears in it. It has a spoiler on the rear deck. The windshield is cracked and will need replacing. He mentioned that a couple of the injectors are malfunctioning. Other than that, it appears to be in pretty good shape. Any ideas on the value of such a car? Is it worth $15k?

Michael

Hey, and welcome to:CAC

No, it is NOT worth 15K. With the mechanical problems you mention (and a few you don't know about, likely) I can't see it going for more than 8KUS$
Mine sold for about 9KUS$ total including partial trade and had none of the probs you mention.
Try your local auto trader rag for ideas...
Are you SURE about the 4500 miles? Sounds fishy...

That's kind of what i was thinking. He also has a 66 Chevelle SS. He replaced the 283 with a 396, so it doesn't have matching numbers. Mabye I could get him to trade for both. Wife gets the Vette, daddy gets the SS396. Hmmm.... Now, where to get rid of a 79 MG Midget.

Sounds like it has 104,500 miles on it. I don't think he's being honest with you. Keep your Harley or sell it outright and look for a better vette.

$800-$1000 for injectors if you do it yourself
$800 for a new top including installation
$300 for the windshield
And Lord knows what else will be wrong. Judging by the obvious conditions here, there will be plenty more wrong too.
I'd say he give you the car and $10K and you got a deal.:)

I went out and took another look at itr last night. The VIN is 1G1YY3187K5125870. So, it is an 89. The owner was not around, so I couldn't question him. The last time I talked to him, he said the low mileage was because the guy bought it and something happened (stroke?) where he couldn't drive it, so it was left sitting for about 10 years. The interrio doesn't look like it has much wear. Not what you would expect if it truely is 104,000 and not 4,000 miles.

I have been scanning the 89 Vettes for sale. The prices seem to range from about $8,000 to over $20,000. Makes it hard to nail this thing down.

Mull this over...

...anytime a vehicle sits for any length of time, things dry out and get brittle; belts, hoses, wires and gaskets.
I have purchased a vehicle that had sat for several years for a 'deal'...and I won't do that again. The 'deal' winds up costing way too much in maintenance and bringing it back up to a reliable level.
Perhaps if the vehicle had been started and allowed to run regularly that may increase the price a bit, but I would shy away from it if it has sat without any attention for more than a year, and you say this one has sat for 10.

I would be afraid that if you trade your Harley for this vette, you will wind up regretting and resenting the rolling money pit. Having a Corvette is great fun. Having a Corvette that needs constant (expensive) repairs is NOT fun. I think your $15k Harley could find you a better maintained vette, one that is reliable and would give you years of pleasure and enjoyment immediately from the time it becomes yours.
Heidi :w

I don't think its a matter of anyone being right or wrong, but of you finding the right vette for you. It could very well be that this would be a good deal for you.
If you wish to pursue this, I'd ask the owner about having a pre-purchase exam by a reputable Corvette mechanic of your choice to troubleshoot any potential problems. This would give you an accurate idea of what repairs are necessary and what the costs would run. I think this is especially important when purchasing a vehicle that you have no experience with. (can you do your own repairs? this can make a big difference)
Shop smart and know what you're getting into. IMO I think $15k for a 14 year old vette that has had no attention for 10 years is too much money. Especially if you are considering trading a 4 year old HD that is nearly new and reliable for a vehicle of unknown reliablity. Find out exactly what would need to be fixed and how much the repairs would cost before you commit.
Heidi

Two Words.....

NO WAY!!!!!!!! Whether or not you know this guy and or trust him, there's no way I'd make that trade. That's all I'll say without seeing the car.:nono

Welcome to :CAC

IMO
the problem with a vehicle that sits is the seals dry up, bearings in the rear sieze or get a flat spots, wires get brittle. there is the possibility of frame rust, Bad gas and other fluids and the list goes on and on. Low milage is NOT all it is is cracked up to be. I would rather have a vechcle that has been driven then one that sat. If you want a Vette and have to sell your Harley to do it, so be it, but look around elsewhere for a better deal. There are even dealers that will trade for a Harley out there.
I paid $4500 for a non running 76 and have put three times that in it. I went into it knowing it needed work and did most of the work myself. I could have bought a runner and saved money, but I like to tinker:crazy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom