Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trailer package

heavy69

Corvette
1981 Dk Blue
I recently purchased a L81 that has a trailer hitch installed. I was going to remove it as soon as I got home but have decided to wait when I found out that 916 units were equipped with them from the factory. I need to know if it is original equipment. My local dealer only had a picture from the rear that did not provide any details. I don't have the RPO's availibe to me and understand GM did not keep records at the St. Louis plant. Can some one post pictures of their OE hitch? Iwould also like help in identifying the Gymkhana suspension. Thanks for your help, Chris

gymkhana cars (81) had a 9 leaf rear spring. also had 1 1/8" front stab bar and stiffer front coils. trailer hitch package included heavy duty shocks, 4 core rad., extra heavy battery and alt.

heavy69 said:
I recently purchased a L81 that has a trailer hitch installed. I was going to remove it as soon as I got home but have decided to wait when I found out that 916 units were equipped with them from the factory. I need to know if it is original equipment. My local dealer only had a picture from the rear that did not provide any details. I don't have the RPO's availibe to me and understand GM did not keep records at the St. Louis plant. Can some one post pictures of their OE hitch? Iwould also like help in identifying the Gymkhana suspension. Thanks for your help, Chris

Hey Chris

Heres the link to the L81 Registry with all the RPO's for L81's.
http://www.l81vetteregistry.com/index.html

Hope this is of some help

:beer

heavy69 said:

The RPO ZN1 trailering package included the Gyamkana suspension, and a heavy duty radiator. The hitch was dealer installed, and it was just the standard hitch available at the time (approximately 100 lbs of tongue weight). The meat of the package was the suspension and radiator. Some owners ellected the package but did not buy the hitch from the dealer (or so I have been told). It also includes a higher capacity amp alternator.

The Gyamkana rear leaf spring has 9 leafs, but later I found out from Chevrolet that technically the very small one at the top does not count, thus they refer to it as an 8-leaf spring. Approximately 2.5" wide leafs. The front springs also have a higher rate. The stabilizer bars in the rear are slightly bigger in diameter as well.

GerryLP:cool

Thanks for all of the info, I will crawl under and take another look in the next few days.

Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom