Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trailering a Callaway

jonstr

I've got the Speedster up on my lift tonight, and I realize I have a minor problem: I have never trailered a C4. With my '63 and (former) '69, there were frame holes front and rear that I used for the tie downs.

With the different frame layout on the C4s, where do you connect J-hooks to tie it down? Any recommendations?

Jon

Im pretty sure there are loops under there for the hooks. I swear I used them when trailering my car.

Jon, as surf mentioned, there are tie down holes on "tabs" welded to the frame, underneath the car.

on each side, there is one at every "corner" - I can get a picture of each if you like...

In the meantime, with the hood up, one sits at the back of the spring area, as you run your hand down the inner fenderwell - on the drivers side, it is about under the gas pedal - feel for the oval opening on the tab...

On the back, it is in front of the lower shock mount. Laying down, you can see the tab with the oval cut out - the passenger side is in the same place, just opposite sides of the car.

Let me know if you still need the pics, and I will get some when it is daylight out :cool

- C.

Is this the loop/tab you guys are talking about? This one is just forward of the right rear wheel, but there is one on each corner.
PB068681.JPG

I saw these the other night. They looked like a logical place, but I coudln't really tell what they were mounted to. I figured I should ask before using them and tearing something out the first time the trailer went over a speed bump.

Is this the loop/tab you guys are talking about? This one is just forward of the right rear wheel, but there is one on each corner.
PB068681.JPG

I saw these the other night. They looked like a logical place, but I coudln't really tell what they were mounted to. I figured I should ask before using them and tearing something out the first time the trailer went over a speed bump.

In that picture, you can tell the original color of your Speedster was a turqouise met. hue :cool

Not sure if that was ever mentioned, I just saw that and figured I would post that. :w

In that picture, you can tell the original color of your Speedster was a turqouise met. hue :cool

Not sure if that was ever mentioned, I just saw that and figured I would post that. :w

Yep. Saw a bit more of that under the kick panels and sill plates when I pulled the Bose speaker/amp for rebuild too.

...and if you ever wanted to use a u Haul, they work well!

A couple things to keep in mind -

• Use your own straps for most of the tie downs - do not leave the back, unsecured.
  • Use a curb or incline to assist in the ramp angle for loading/unloading.
  • Aerobody cars are easier to load because they do not have the side spoilers. Otherwise you need to block up the front for clearance over the front stops.
  • Make sure the U-Haul trailer has long ramps. They have 5.5ft and 7ft ramps. Older trailers have short ramps!
  • Rent a local haul, as you get a better trailer than their one-way junk they want to get off their lot.
  • Renting local, also gets a better rate. I paid $50.00/day for 4 days to cover 2,800 miles. It would have been something like $600 bucks, otherwise on a one-way rental. Local ;)
  • U-Haul Driver side fenders FOLD DOWN for easy door opening! Way-Cool!
Any other questions, please feel free to ask - I have rented these a few times :cool

attachment.php

QUESTION!!!

WHY TRAILER IF YOU DON'T HAVE A SPEEDSTER?

CALLAWAY CORVETTES ARE MADE TO DRIVE!

ALSO IT IS CHEAPER TO DRIVE THEM THAN DRAGING THEM AROUND ON A TRAILER!

PLUS ALOT MORE FUN!

Big John,

I believe Jonstr is talking about trailering his Speedster. I can't blame him for that since you need to have shelter from the elements if venturing any distance from home.

-Luigi
:cool

Big John,

I believe Jonstr is talking about trailering his Speedster. I can't blame him for that since you need to have shelter from the elements if venturing any distance from home.

-Luigi
:cool

Part of the reason for the info (this time) is that my trailer was stolen a few weeks ago. I need a short-term solution until I get a replacement.

THAT'S NOT GOOD!
IT IS A GOOD THING THAT YOUR CAR WAS NOT IN IT!!!!!!!
I DO UNDERSTAND NOT WANTING TO DRIVE AN OPEN CAR IN BAD WEATHER.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom