Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trailing Arms Brake Lines Leak!! Need Custom ones

R

RizzoRat

Rear Trailing Arms Leak!! Need Custom ones

Ok, ive had this problem before, and i thought it was resolved. I kept ordering the rear stainless steel trailing arms from Mid America, except i would have a problem with each one they would senc me. See...in my 73, the rear calipars use a 3/4 inch fitting that goes into the Calipar, and the other side is the standard size that connects to the hose. Well...mid America dosent sell ones with the 3/4 fitting. I decided i would try and take the arm, to Just Brakes, and had them cut off the flange, then put on the 3/4 fitting. However, the flare they produced was nowhere close to the quality that the Mid America ones sent. So thats why i think im leaking at those 2 rear trailing arms ( Not to mention i spent 50 to do that crap :mad ) What do i do, is there a company that can make those rear trailing arms for me? This is like 1 foot before the finish line, the only thing holding me up in completing my complete brake project. ( Finally got the air out guys, thanks for the mini-vac advice) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I may be confused- but ut the fitting that are holding you up?
The brake lines from the front to the rear are essentially the same for 65-82. As for trailing arms... thats the suspension arm in which the axel is held by. You must mean the brake calliper. I think you have a problem because you are running an off-spec system that a previous owner came up with. You may have the right calipers.... and the wrong steel braided hoses. I have never had a problem with callipers and or line fittings matching up when I have bought replacement parts.

You may have more money to spend in the future. I'd recommend getting new lines from the rear line's split into left and right lines. I think your adventures in "custom fab" won't ever seal correctly due to the quality.

If you have the time and money.... replace all the steel lines front to rear. It should lat another 20 years that way!

Good luck!

I agree with Darkshark, that is if I understand your problem. Sounds like you have some custom made/hand fabricated lines going to the caliper. The new stainless replacement lines are not that expensive, or very hard to install. You can basically replace from the front to the rear of the car in an afternoon (then you have to bleed it again!).

Good luck. I know you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Situation Explained Again

The lines are fabricated simply because they dont work on my rear calipars. The ones that i buy from the Corvette restoration stores have a 1/4 fitting on both sides. However....my calipar is deeper then that, some really rare option in 73 as i was told by the Lady at Mid America. So they dont reproduce the longer fitting on those rear brake lines. Granted, i know the reproduction are easy to intstall...just they wont work on my car. Thats my problem

I understand this to mean that your caliper is bored too deep on the right hand side only and that the fitting on the line screws in and bottoms out on the hex head without the flare on the tube hitting the seat and sealing. Is this what you are saying?

If it is, you can purchase the longer fittings from most any auto parts store and change the fitting on your line. All you need is a double flare tool to put the correct flare on the line. Most parts houses sell made up lines in different lengths with the fittings in place. Maybe you will get lucky.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom