Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

trans cooler-(95 LT1)

D95

Corvette
1995 black convertible
Did anyone put an external cooler for trans. and notice the trans gauge temp. drop after install ? How many degrees cooler? Where is the best location-front of radiator or will that block air flow and car will run hotter
Thanks

Im not sure what cooler it is, but I was under my car for the first time since I got it ( just got ramps!). It is after the radiator, and about 15in long and 6 in wide... It is stock...

This probably doesnt help you, but my tansmission is auto and runs at 188 degrees...

Figured I would try and get something going for ya! Good Luck!:cool

Dogfish
Thanks for the info. The cooler you described sounds like the power steering cooler. What are your temps in traffic ?mine goes up to 223-too hot for me. I have a stock setup except I have a dewitt radiator. My water temps average 200 dg. when cruising. (180 stock stat)
188dg is a good temp. I would like to get my trans temp down to around 175 (cruising). I know if I use a 160 stat and reprogram the fans then the water temp will get cooler and so will the trans temp but I would like to keep the car mostly stock. Gordon Killebrew said to use the stock 180 stat .
I guess nobody on this site added a cooler to the trans (late model LT1 with a trans gauge

Ok, wow that is a big cooler for the power steering!
My coolant temps go to 220-230 degrees when in town stop and go. They will quickly drop to 190 almost exactly every time in the highway... As for the trans temp 220 in stop and go is about right... My Vette is completely stock also... Im going to start watiching the trans temp a little more now.:cool

I dont know about you but changing the temp of the thermostat and fans (I feel) is not a good idea...

My coolant temps go to 220-230 degrees when in town stop and go. They will quickly drop to 190 almost exactly every time in the highway... As for the trans temp 220 in stop and go is about right... My Vette is completely stock also... Im going to start watiching the trans temp a little more now.:cool

I dont know about you but changing the temp of the thermostat and fans (I feel) is not a good idea...

nice red vette you have
By the way I suck out thru the dipstick tube around 2 quarts of trans fluid and then I refill with new castol trans fluid 2 times a year because of the heat. I still would like to put an external cooler in series with the radiator cooler but I am not sure about the location. I would also like to know how many degrees cooler the trans temp will be-You will need someone with a 95 or 96 stock LT1 with trans gauge and 180 stat to tell us the temps

"Nice red vette you have"

Thanks!

Do you think that the operating temp of the transmission is a problem? I always tell myself that there was a lot of research and development put into the Vette (like the hot running temps), and the car was designed that way... What do you thinK?

Did anyone put an external cooler for trans. and notice the trans gauge temp. drop after install ? How many degrees cooler? Where is the best location-front of radiator or will that block air flow and car will run hotter
Thanks

Unless you are road racing an automatic car or pulling a trailer (highly unlikely), you're better off (because it's easier and cheaper) to just change to a premium synthetic ATF which is far more tolerant of higher fluid temp. than is standard Dexron III.

Best product on the market for this is Red Line "D4 ATF".

Change your fluid and filter using D4 and you'll probably see slightly lower temperature and, since D4 is more tolerant of high temperatures, a much greater safety margin.

But, if you do decide to add an external cooler make sure you connected it on the return line to the trans, after the stock cooler.

i had an adjustable fan thermostat put on mine and played with it until i got it to cycle right..it comes on at 200 instead of 220 like stock..and the engine temp stays below 210..all i do is idle(kinda) in traffic all the time here in los angeles..
on a rare occasion when i get to drive on the highway that is not blocked or locked up in stop and go,.. my baby runs in the 190's,,in the sunshine .at nite a bit cooler....warm enough, i think for everything to work right..and cool enough to keep me happy..:cool

trans_life_expectancy.jpg

Nice read! Thanks!

Now you guys got me worried! Im going to watch and see if it ever gets above 220 degrees!

I checked my fluid a few seconds ago and its pretty pink with no burnt smell so...:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom