Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Transmission Linkage

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
Hey, just a couple questions about my transmission linkage. As you can see by the attached pictures there is one cable that is not connected, I am assuming it goes to the pin with the cotter key but not sure why this is not connected. I have had the car for 5 years and it has been this way the entire time I have owned it but now that I am going to remove the pan I though this would be a good time to reconnect this cable but I would like to know what it is first?
Secondly you can also see the rubber boot is torn so I will also want to replace this, just wondering what the procedures are, is there tension on the cable? What gear should I have the car in when disconnecting the cable and will it be hard to get reconnected?
Last question, I have also attached a picture of piece of foam that fell out from the between the car and the transmission, what is this for and now important is it than it go back in? It is torn on one end and the small piece that is torn off I don't have. (looks like it some kind of insulation the was inserted between the transmission tunnel and the transmission itself)
NOTE its a 1976 L48 with the 350 auto transmission.

my guess the second cable is for the steering column lock

Any idea why it would not be hooked up?

Thanks sounds like good advice, wonder how hard replacing that boot is going to be?

It is the cable for the steering lock. By the look of it the end has a kink in it which suggests that it is rusted up inside the housing and will not move. I would not attach it as is, but new ones are available. It runs up to an arm under the steering column and under the power brake booster if you have one. To replace it only takes patience. There is no real adjustment.
Someone who knows more will come along, but I think it affects your steering column locking and may not let you lock off the ignition. For some reason I'm thinkin it may affect your backup lights as well. I never replaced one on an automatic so I'm not sure about your neutral safety switch which keeps the car from starting in gear.

Mike

Thanks, I am going to replace the boot fix the stripped bolt in the pan and leave the cable unconnected unless some tells me I really need to hook it up, everything works good now so I don't want to mess up anything. Not sure if the column lock out works or not may check that before I put it back together to just to make sure. Thanks

The foam piece is to keep heat from going back into the tunnel area(goes on top of the transmission), most have fallen out from getting old. They do make replacements.

The piece of foam is the horse collar insulation that goes on top the bell housing (between bell and trans tunnel).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom