Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission removal...

tred95

Corvette
1995 Torch Red Hardtop 'vert
I just removed my transmission for rebuild. I followed the manual word for word, but what a hassle with that driveline support. Is it really supposed to move out of the way or do you have to kind of work around it like I did. I pushed it back towards the differential until I had enough clearance to lower the tranny.
Man is it tight up in there...!

Thanks

Pete

That is the toughest part of the job..well almost the toughest...you still have to put it back in. If you look at the fine print in the manuel, doing this job requires a bonus payment of 1 case of beer. Good Luck...

Hey

Real soon i will be replacing the trani in my 86. Let me know how it goes. and or any hints or tips that would help me. I would be greatful.

PS How did you get the car up high enough to get under it to remove the trani?? I have been pondering the possibilities........ I was thinking of driving it up onto a couple I beams, or jacking it up and putting about 3 foundation blocks under all sides. ????????????

Good luck to you, I will be there soon

Last winter season I had to work on the engine and spent a lot of time under the car (up on jackstands). I had a lot of aches and pains and frustration rolling in and out from under so I decided that this year I would get a lift, which I did. It was just delivered on Dec 18. and I had the car on it to remove the trans.
The most difficult part, in my opinion, was getting to the flywheel housing bolts because on the '95 they caution about tilting the motor too far due to one of the emission pipes contacting the firewall.
I suppose that it is possible to take the tranny out if you can get the car high enough. I'm sure there are people that have done it.
Here is how high I have the car...
Good luck on your project

Pete

Hey thats a pretty nice lift you got there. Where did u get it from and how much. Thanks.

I got the lift from Autolifters in Wichita Ks. Their web site is www.autolifters.com. My lift is the M6, rated at 8000#

Here is the site that convinced me.
http://www.chazcone.com/corvette/atlantac5events/liftparty/

The lift was on special at the time and was $2395, plus they had a deal on shipping at that time. all in all I spent $2800. because I wanted the casters to move if needed.

corvette66 said:
Real soon i will be replacing the trani in my 86. Let me know how it goes. and or any hints or tips that would help me. I would be greatful.

PS How did you get the car up high enough to get under it to remove the trani?? I have been pondering the possibilities........ I was thinking of driving it up onto a couple I beams, or jacking it up and putting about 3 foundation blocks under all sides. ????????????

Good luck to you, I will be there soon
:)

I have changed alot of trans in all types of cars........Before I had a lift installed I used a deep dish to pull over and that works great.......As for pulling engines, I have used alot of tree branches, and chained a chain host to it. But I do love my lift now......Hope things go well.......;)

Bell housing removal

The fellow in North East MD that did my transmission had an air wrench with an extension (must have been 3 or 4 feet long) and on the far end of it a universal and (I'm guessing) a 9/16" socket all in one unit. I have a 1/2" and a 9/16" universal/socket that my father-in-law gave me 30+ years ago, so don't know who sells them (bet the Sears tool store does).
The key here was the loooooong extension and the combo universal/socket on the end of the extension to get around the 'corner' with square mate up to the bolt head. He had it out, rebuilt, installed and running in 1-1/2 day.
Hope this helps,
John,
ps, VERY jealous of your lift

corvette66 said:
I used about 10 foundation blocks. tight squeez :)
Cement blocks can be a bad deal. I have seen them shatter and crumble after sitting for days with a load on them. Maybe a concentrated load because of a bolt head or some irregularity on the chassis causes it.

If you can't get some regular safety stands, you are better off using braced wood blocks!!

My two cents ..... Ron

haha

yeah i know, i wasn't real excited about crawling under it with those foundation blocks. I do have 2 chunks of a wooden beam. about 10X8 maybe. and 2 jack stands. The jack stands are real tipsy looking. I should have used the wooden blocks. I need to get some REAL equipment :L

Trick is to push the trans all the way up against the floor cavity. Next is to take left hand and push the support forward on the chassis rail, and with the right hand pull the other end of the support back. Slide the left support end in more, while pulling the right end out past the frame rail. The support should come out at this type of angle. Install the same way....push that trans up against the body is the trick for clearance.

removal

When I removed my 4+3, I first droped the motor a slight bit. Then used left hand to hold the 4 speed case, and right hand to hold the OD unit. Then with the motor hang'n down just a little bit on an angle, it slid off nicely. The only thing that was a nuisance was that bulky drive support. Try'n to wiggle the trani around it was a tough.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom