Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transmission upshift problem

rch105

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red II Coupe
Hi Everyone,
I've owned my '87 Coupe (automatic) for 2 years and since getting it, it shifts out of 1st into 2nd at a very low speed. When I pull out from a dead stop, unless I hit the pedal hard, it appears I might go only a few feet (20") and it immediately upshifts into 2nd. Speedometer-wise, it might shift as low as 8 mph. The previous owner said he had it rebuilt and that's the way it came back. He sold it shortly after having the rebuild.

Being I know literally nothing about the why's or wherefor's, has anyone had experience in this and can suggest a fix. Is it just a linkage adjustment...or must I spend big bucks to correct this?

Thanks,
Rick:w

upshift

not 100% sure but it sounds like you need to adjust your cable that goes from throttle body back to trans .there is a way to do that just not sure how some one with more smarts than me will chime in

Inspection

Inspection should be made with the engine running at idle speed with the selector lever in Neutral. Set the parking brake firmly and block the wheels to prevent any vehicle movement. Have an assistant apply the brakes from the driver's seat.

Grab the inner cable a few inches behind where it attaches to the throttle linkage and pull the cable forward. It should easily slide through the cable terminal that connects to the throttle linkage.

Release the cable and it should return to its original location with the cable stop against the cable terminal.

If the TV cable does not operate as above, the cause is a defective or misadjusted cable or damaged components at either end of the cable.

If it does operate as it should, here's how to adjust it.

Adjustment

The engine should not be running for this adjustment.

Depress the adjust tab (the Red button shaped like a D on the TV cable) and move the slider back through the fitting away from the throttle linkage until the slider stops against the fitting.

Release the adjuster tab.

Manually turn the throttle lever to the "wide open throttle" position, which will automatically adjust the cable.

Release the throttle lever.

Now, test the shifting by taking your baby out for a short ride.

I've adjusted my 87 and the above procedure works fine.

(Courtesy of the Haynes Repair Manual - Page 7B-2 and 3)

Thanks for the info, Jeb. I'll give this a try after work today!

And geogolf, thanks to you, too!

rch105 said:
Hi Everyone,
I've owned my '87 Coupe (automatic) for 2 years and since getting it, it shifts out of 1st into 2nd at a very low speed. When I pull out from a dead stop, unless I hit the pedal hard, it appears I might go only a few feet (20") and it immediately upshifts into 2nd. Speedometer-wise, it might shift as low as 8 mph. The previous owner said he had it rebuilt and that's the way it came back. He sold it shortly after having the rebuild.

Being I know literally nothing about the why's or wherefor's, has anyone had experience in this and can suggest a fix. Is it just a linkage adjustment...or must I spend big bucks to correct this?

Thanks,
Rick:w

My car does exactly the same thing. I adjusted the TV cable and it made the gear shifts firmer but did not change the speed at which the shifts take place. I had a transmission shop check it out and they said they could adjust the shift points. I don't know how much the adjustments alone would cost because I had them quote changing the torque converter along with adjusting the shift points. Its interesting that the previous owner of my car had the transmission rebuilt shortly before I bought it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom