Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Transmission

redb2k's

Corvette
Lots of vettes-several b2k's
Were the automatic Callaways built by GM with an automatic or a standard transmission? I thought all of the Callaways were built with a standard and then Callaway installed the automatic with overdrive. Does anyone know any details?

The rule I have seen with automatics, is they have an MXO code for the auto box from BG.

That said, one has a B2K w/ an 4+3 rpo in 88 and it has the Callaway automatic.

I have been trying to get the NCRS to reconsider their position however, since they saw (and maybe judged) the 88 auto that began life as a 4+3 car first, guess what they are believing more...

IF YOU HAD YOUR CAR'S BUILD SHEET FROM GM, WOULD THAT TELL YOU IF YOUR CAR WAS ORIGINALLY AN AUTO OR STANDARD?

The reason I asked was due to the differential option. I would of thought all would of started with a standard to get the larger Dana 44 differntial.

The reason I asked was due to the differential option. I would of thought all would of started with a standard to get the larger Dana 44 differntial.

...that was the same logic the NCRS reps. tried to use. It was/is not accurate though - but I understand why one might think that :cool

The Callaways automatics that I looked at so far were original automatics with Dana 36. This surprised me knowing the torque numbers for these cars! I haven't heard of any problems but not many Callaways are drag raced on a regular basis!!

The Callaways automatics that I looked at so far were original automatics with Dana 36. This surprised me knowing the torque numbers for these cars! I haven't heard of any problems but not many Callaways are drag raced on a regular basis!!

The ones from Barrett-Jackson in 2004 were D36 automatics, remember???

Maybe one or two were converted from a 4+3, but that can be more work than starting with an automatic from the get-go :lou

I understand the automatic was completely different, 700a4 compared to the turbo 400 with overdrive after the transmission. I was just wondering about the differential. I would like to of had the Dana 44 if I was purchasing an automatic.

The stock automatic was a TH400 (not HD). They were built by John Kilgore in California. John still maintains a transmission and off road equipment business. Modifications included blocking the vacuum modulator and locking the centrifugal modulator. Clutch packs were heavy duty. The torque converter was from a Chevy Vega, which is smaller diameter to clear the relocated starter motor.

HI there,
Fact is that the Dana 36 is about as bulletproof a differential as you can get.
Personally, I have a customer I did a 406 in a 1988 with a 4L60 and about 475 ft lbs of torque that is run regularly at Englishtown running low 12s with No problems in 3 years of running.
Allthebst, c4c5

transmission

I just picked up my 08 callaway with 6sp manual chevy builds the car with 6sp manual or auto w/paddle shift but the bigger 3:42 rear ratio is only available with the z51 & manual optioncallaway gets the car with trans.installed

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom