Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Transporting car across country?

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
My little sister is moving from Virginia to Oakland, California the beginning of next month. I've been given the task of trying to figure out if shipping her 2010 Yaris makes equitable sense. I've gotten a bunch of quotes from brokers (barf), but does anyone know of any good company that has reasonable prices? Again, this isn't a Corvette or anything, just a Yaris, so an uncovered trailer would be fine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've been quoted $1,200-$1350 so far. Thanks!

-Tatortot

Sounds about right for a cross country, small car, non-enclosed ride. Worth it for a Yaris??? Your call.

:w Tatortot :D

Take a few minutes and take a look at this THREAD ;)

Bud
:w

Thanks Bud. I actually read the thread but it was 5 years old, and ya know companies have a way of selling to eachother very quickly... anyways, do you happen to know the website for Intercity transports? There's a couple out there, www.intercitylines.com, and www.inter-cityautotransport.com Either of those look familiar? I've bookmarked State 2 State transport as well.

catbert.

Exactly what I told her about shipping a Yaris, but given the situation, it's probably the easiest solution.

Thanks again fellas.

-Tatortot

A 3+year old Yaris?

Confronted with the cost of moving the car, I'd sell it in Virginia, keep the transport cost and buy a similar used vehicle in California.

If you were going to ship it, well, you might as well just buy a new car in CA. You may want to consider a drive away. That is where you let some one use your car to drive it to a common destination and they pay their expense. works well for both parties.

:beer

:w tatortot

I used the first link (above) for Intercity transport Inc. Abby came in an Enclosed trailer and the husband wife team were fantastic people :thumb It cost $1,391.00 from New Hampshire to Amarillo ;)

Another thought about taking a car out to California... "Smog Nazi's" I believe most cars built within the last 10 years or so are all 50 state compliant, but be sure it will pass the "Smog Nazi Laws in Kalifonia"... also If I recall correctly when I bought RARE (1998) and drove her back from Michigan.. there was a Welcome to Kalifornia Bounus TAX added to the registration Process, and it required DMV to inspect her, not one of the normal inspection garage's but the STATE DMV Office... and One of the last place's I would send my sister would be to the OAKLAND, KALIFORNIA DMV Office :eek scary place.

I worked 12 year in Alameda, just across the bay... I drove thru Oakland may times and I never realized I could hold my breath that long :chuckle

Good Luck Tator

Bud

Thanks for all the info. Looks like the CA tax is .65% of the sale price, so she's looking at $95 or so bucks, plus whatever else they throw at her. That's a whole lot lower than VA. Here it's 4%!

Anyways, she's actually moving to Temescal, which, Bud, I'm hoping you'll tell me is safer. Everyone told her "DO NOT MOVE TO OAKLAND!" so what does she do....? But I digress.

There are a lot of moving parts here which are too long to get in to. I'm really hoping she'll just get out there and we can decide what to do from there. She's leaning towards just buying a car out there, but that leaves the task of selling the car to my parents.... which is an almost impossibility as they are old and lazy :L

Regardless, State to State and Intercity are the front-runners. I've been fighting off brokers all day... vultures.

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom