Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trim tag

Lstooks1966

My 1976 L82, 4 speed corvette has trim tag” specpaint”. Info I have found is the factory shipped cars to the dealer in primer. Production numbers is what I can’t find. One article I found is that it is 1 of 9. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 47FFCED2-3EA6-4794-9B4C-30BEF615F4F2.jpg
    47FFCED2-3EA6-4794-9B4C-30BEF615F4F2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 69

bill81vette

Corvette
1981 dark blue metallic

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
Well I took the total number of 1976 Corvettes built and subtracted the numbers of cars built in known 1976 production colors (including the 1 code 39 Dark Green that some books don't show) and ended up with 8 cars unaccounted for. That doesn't mean that all 8 were primer cars though. Chevrolet could have used a car for some promotion and had it painted a non production color. That would also be stamped Spec Paint. Also the Shriners were known to buy blocks of Corvettes and they were often painted a non production color like a Cadillac Firemist color. Does your car show any evidence of a color prior to the red? Anyway you look at it your car is one of 8 Spec Paint cars. We had a 1976 come it at DeHaven Chevrolet in Ft. Wayne IN in 1976 when I worked there that was a primer car. It was dark grey primer with silver bumpers and black leather interior. It was also a L82 4 speed if I remember correctly. From what I know I think all primer cars had silver bumper covers. The customer wanted a perfect black paint on his car and in 1976 neither black nor perfect were offered. Thin paint and visible bonding strips were a big problem. It sure looked nice when the body shop was done with it though.

Tom

Lstooks1966

Thanks for the information and link. Red is the original color painted and no repaint. The factory primer still shows along the t-top seal and door seal with traces of raw fiber glass. I really Appreciate the reply's. Backs up what I have found about 1 of nine.

Best

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom