Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trouble With Cold Starts!!

A

Annivette

I've tried adjusting the idle in an attempt to just get the car warmer faster, but i still have trouble with a cold start. I'm having a very difficult time getting her to start on the first fire, it just won't happen. Any Ideas?

Playing with the idle speed won't make it warm up faster ( or slower) or make it easier to start. It should be adjusted as per factory spec. Higher than necessary can put undue stress on the drivetrain, too low a speed might make the engine susceptible to stalling.

Have you verified choke operation? Do you have the original carb and intake?

Most likely the choke. I had that problem and I had to just tie it back. Adjusting the idle will just cause problems.

Is it a manual choke?

After all my Carb woes, Im becoming an expert.

Have you checked to see if your carb has gas.

I have the same problem, in that, I think gas is syphoned from the carb after sitting for a couple of days.

After I turn it over for a few seconds it starts and then restarts on first try.

Terry

I have the same problem. I'm seding the carb out to a pro (Lars) to rebuild. I can rebuild it myself, but I don't know all the tricks. Hopefully it's done right the first time.

If the car is taking too long to warm up, replace the thermostat.

Cold start is a little different on the old carb cars than it is on the EFI units that we are all used to now. I had to play with mine some when I first got it but eventually figured out two pumps to the floor and back with the gas pedal and then hold the pedal down half way and it started first time every time.

Then I had the intake manifold changed and that didn't work anymore. Now it likes one pump and starts every time on the first try.

Bob

Might Be Fire, Not Fuel

Don't overlook the ignition system either. A weak spark caused by a tired cap, rotor, wires or plugs will also contibute to a "hard Start" condition.

How old are these components?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom