Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trunk Irons

N

Neal

I finally bought another 1958 last year (I had one back in the early 70's) and just like my old one, it doesn't have the trunk irons. I'm guessing they were badly corroded and the owner just filled in the holes in the lid. Well, I went ahead and spent the money to purchase new ones, but am not sure what sort of precautions I should take before drilling out the holes. (Fortunately I can see where they go from the underside of the trunk lid) Anyone have any exerience and/or words of wisdom on this?

Thanks much..........

Neal Steik

Not having any '58s in my background I'm assuming that the trunk irons have mounting studs in them. If you can determine the center of each filled hole from the inside I would varify that they are in a straight line and check the measurements from hole to hole with the new irons marking a cross on each center with a pencil. If all seems to line up I would drill a small pilot hole at each cross. Use about a 1/8 inch bit. Then hold the iron up to the trunk to check that the studs do, in fact, line up with the pilot holes. This way if a hole needs to be adjusted it will still be covered by the iron and probably the nut and washer on the inside or can be filled and touched up underneith fairly easily. Once you are sure that all lines up drill out the holes to the size of the studs.

Thanks Tom, you're right in assuming the irons have mounting studs. I will use your method of drilling out the holes. Wish me luck. <g>

Where did you find the trunk irons? I have looking for some for about 6 months.

Neal,

Remember what Norm says. Measure twice, drill once. Oh, and get some black strip caulk from the auto parts store to seal around the studs when you mount the irons. That's how the factory kept the water out of these types of mountings, mouldings, ect.

The trunk irons I purchased are reproduction ones from Corvette Central (part #331195)

And thanks for the tip on the strip caulk, even though I don't drive it in the rain, and living in Seattle, that tells you how little I get to drive it. :-(

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "trunk irons"?

Thanks.

Their two chrome strips that run the length of the trunk. They were a one year (58) only item. But don't tell Tom, I told him they keep the wrinkles off the trunk when you wash it.:D

The 2 big diecast chrome mouldings that run down the trunk lid on a 1958 are commonly called trunk irons. Don't ask me how they came to be known as such. It's just one of those nicknames that developed over the years.

Tom

60w427 said:
Their two chrome strips that run the length of the trunk. They were a one year (58) only item. But don't tell Tom, I told him they keep the wrinkles off the trunk when you wash it.:D

No wonder my '59 looks so funny. Thanks for clearing that up 60.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom