Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Trying to determine what my 61 was born as...

VetteVirgin

Corvette
Ermine '61
My best guess, based on the few clues I have is that my 61 was born as a 230 hp w/ powerglide.
The clues:
5500 redline
custom bubba clutch pedal
mangled firewall where clutch rod passes through
no evidence of return spring plate on frame ever existing
short yoke on driveshaft, but shaft probably not original
Diff is 3.36 which points to 3 speed but carrier is non-corvette so diff prob isn't either.

I guess it could have been a 245 also with 5500 redline?

Seems obvious that it was a powerglide to me, but I've been wrong with every assumption I've made so far about this car!

Thanks for any input you can provide!

VV

A 61?? Wow. Your a lucky guy to own one. Very cool. I'm sure there's a way to research and using the vin# track down the info you need.

I am not sure about the 61, but the Corvette Museum is known for this type of information. Contact them and see what they have.
They actually have files of the original build sheets of most years.

I am not sure about the 61, but the Corvette Museum is known for this type of information. Contact them and see what they have.
They actually have files of the original build sheets of most years.

Only back to '81 and only Corvettes that were built at Bowling Green.

However, the library at the NCM could be quite useful in researching this car.

Thanks guys but I think the only way to determine this car's original build is via the physical evidence that remains on the car. With a mutt like I have, unless you can get lucky and track down the original owner via dmv records I think I'm pretty much "sol" on paper trails.

VV

no evidence of return spring plate on frame ever existing
short yoke on driveshaft, but shaft probably not original
I guess it could have been a 245 also with 5500 redline?

Clearly it was a Powerglide originally, could have been either a 230hp or a 245hp; what's stamped on the front block pad?

All C1's used the same driveshaft with the "long" front yoke, regardless of transmission; that yoke was unique to the Corvette application due to the severe driveline angles.

:beer

Clearly it was a Powerglide originally, could have been either a 230hp or a 245hp; what's stamped on the front block pad?

All C1's used the same driveshaft with the "long" front yoke, regardless of transmission; that yoke was unique to the Corvette application due to the severe driveline angles.

John,
Nothing is left of the original driveline except perhaps the axel housing which has a posi vent. I didn't know whether all frames orignally got the clutch return spring on the frame. Thanks for the clearing that up!
I now feel even better about not restoring this car to original!

VV

I didn't know whether all frames orignally got the clutch return spring on the frame.

From '56-'62, all manual transmission Corvettes had both the clutch cross-shaft tower and the anchor bracket for the "Godzilla spring" arc-welded to the frame at St. Louis; Powerglide cars didn't get either.

All midyear frames ('63-'67) had the clutch cross-shaft tower welded to the frame at the frame plant - it got a free ride on a Powerglide car.

Thanks John! At least I know that part for certain.
I guess I'll never know if a 230 or 245 was originally installed.

VV

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom