Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Trying to find C6 transaxle oil info

Victory Red C6

Corvette
2007 Victory Red Coupe
Back in 2007 or 2008 there was a post that some C6's may have had oil added that did not contain the additive for limited slip axles. I am trying to locate that post to get the part number for the correct transaxle oil. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

If you go to GM and ask for "transaxle" oil, you're liable to get something to put in front-drive transaxles.

People say a C5/C6 has a "transaxle" but that term is correctly applied to a transmission and drive axle system that is one unit, such as you find on may front wheel drive cars where the transmission and the drive axle are in the same housing and share the same lubrication system.

C5/C6 have the transmission and drive axle bolted together, but they do not share the same housing nor do they share the same lubricant. In spite of that, the assembly is commonly referred to as a "transaxle".

For your C6 you need to purchase GM's rear axle lubricant it sells for Corvette drive axles and you need to purchase a different lube for the transmission, either Dexron III ATF for both automatic or manual transmissions.

I used the trans axle lube in my '07. Cured the clutch pack chatter. I still have an unopened quart. Here is the name and part number:
Dexron LS Gear Oil, 75w-90. Says it already contains limited slip friction modifier so DO NOT ADD MORE LIMITED SLIP OIL with this gear oil. The P/N is #88862624. My local GM dealer was very aware of using this to cure the sticky clutch packs on the auto trans C6.

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that the testing for above referenced "white paper" was funded by Amsoil. This is not to say that the information in the paper is suspect but it is to say that we all should understand that Amsoil's goal is to sell gear oils and other lubricants.

There was a posting several years ago regarding some Corvettes left the assembly plant with the improper gear oil in the differential. The gear oil was either missing or there was not enough of the clutch slip additve in the oil. The problem resulted in difficult sharp turns. In that posting the correct part number for the correct gear oil was listed. I am looking for that posting. I am not interested in anything more then that. I appreciate everyone's comments, but I am intrested in finding that particular posting.

Not trying to be smart, but I'm curious as to why you still want the article when you have been supplied the correct P/N for the gear oil earlier in this thread. What else is in the article you would like to know?

You are very welcome! :cool!:

Just part of the team, just doing my part!

While driving your Vette, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

This is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much!!

Mine was one of the early '08's (November '07 build) that had the binding issue. A coworker has an '07 that had the same issue. Dexron LS from the dealer put into both problem solved. There is a TSB out there that mine was changed at no charge under.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom