Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

TT with automatic transmissions

Corvette
89 White Cvt/Hdtp 89 Callaway #59
Iam new to CAC. Would like to know if Callaway TT automatics were original stick shift cars when sent to Callaway for conversion. IF they were original automatic cars did the get the 44 rear axle anyway. Have been looking at TT cars and would like to become very knowledgable before purchasing.

Thanks for any help. You guys have a very well run and interesting web site.

Welcome to the :CAC That is an excellent question - I have not confirmed this, as the cars are so rare with automatics however, I heard rumor that they were manual transmission cars befor being converted to the automatic (which is a GM turbo400 w/ Gear Vendors overdrive on the tailshaft output)
It would also make sense for these cars to have a D44 from a durability standpoint.

Are you looking at a specific car? I know of 3 different Automatics (all 1989's) that are on the market now, all Verts, all autos - 1 standard body, 1 "Greenwood" body and, 1 aerobody :upthumbs

if it was an automatic transmission, it would show the RPO "MD8" or "MXO" however, manual tranmission cars would show MN6 or MM4 depending upon the year.

Two Automatics were done in 1987, one of which was the very last one from the 87 sequence, car # 87-188

Hope this helps, again, welcome to the :CAC Please advise which way the car you are looking at checks out, re: your question. Thanks :v

TT with automatic

Thanks for input 89X2

I have just bought airline ticket to phoenix and plan to attend Barrett-Jackson in January. I also noticed there were a lot of automatic TT's for sale compared to there low production. I intend to look at dark blue car when Iam there, who knows? I haven't been to B-J before but have a few freinds who have gone for many years. Hopefully this will help. I have watched this auction a lot closer since one of these friends called me when my old 68 L-88 was runing across the block there a few years ago. I was asking about TT automatic because the reason I bought my current car several years ago was to get the six speed and figured if these cars were six speeds originally it would be much simpler to change back. Sorry for long ramble but thanks again!

Sounds great! I am a HUGE fan of that dark blue Twin Turbo
2004BJCCA2_176_Spc_T.jpg

But honestly, If you are looking for a 6 speed B2K, I would not change it over from an automatic - That's just one persons opinion though...

89 6 speed is my favorite combo and would love to have a dark navy car with that combo as well :beer

C-4 Now, the answer I got was, they were 700r4 cars to begin with. I am really interested in looking at the two Automatics that will be at Barrett-Jackson next week... Don't worry, I do not think my bride will let me bring home another car until she gets her front porch :eek
Hope this helps :w

Doesn't Joe aka Magic Dragon have a picture of the build sheet from the 100+ that he saw?? It's a long shot.. but thought I'd ask. If it shows the manual trans code in that automatic car we'd have one small statistic to work from :confused

Thanks for help. Hope I can meet a few Callaway guys from CAC at B-J.
My wife isn't coming this trip but says another car = another garage :confused Really looking forward to seeing Callaways and other Cars :) At least I did one thing right I bought a set of Callaway Dymags for my present car the same day I bought the car. Hope to post pictures soon.

Arriving Phoenix 1/21 wish me luck at auction :w

To answer your original question, they were originally automatics as confirmed over the weekend in person - The dark blue met. Aerobody 'vert was also a "GM1" car or, 2.59 gears in the carrier. I asked Mike Z. about that, and he suggested that they may have been upgraded to 3.07's upon construction but would have to verify each car individually.
Sorry we missed you, 4 of us from here, were there :v

Yes!! I also checked the codes on both 89 Callaways with my GM option code book and seen that they were both original 700R4s when built. But was surprised that they both had the Dana 36 with the 2.59 gears. The guy with the dark blue Callaway also had 3 other cars there including the 97 Hennessy Viper and probably didn't worry about trucking because he owns a trucking company. Was selling because too many cars. O well. I also think the guy that bought the Sledgehammer got a whale of a deal. Too bad my pockets aren't quite that deep.

I'm interested in this thread because I have a th400/Gear Vendors in my car. I put it in because I didn't want to waste any more money on a 700r4 and I think this is stronger than a ZF6. I just love this setup! I had my th400 built with a forward pattern manual valve body. This gives it engine braking in all 3 gears. It also requires shifting completely manually. I put in a B&M ratchet shifter to allow that without ever missing a shift. I'm with 89x2 tho. Don't buy a th400/Gear Vendors car and then switch it to a ZF6. Anybody know how many cars got the th400/Gear Vendors? What was the cost of this option? Thanks.

Bob86ZZ4 said:
Anybody know how many cars got the th400/Gear Vendors? What was the cost of this option? Thanks.
Records show 26 cars in 1988 and 17 (although I have also seen 18) in 1989, the only two years the option was offered - but 2 cars were were done in 1987 w/ that Automatic.

Option shows as $4,500 for the Automatic from Callaway for the B2K.

Hope this helps :beer

I've seen that $4500 mentioned but I've also seen $6500. I notice in the ebay listing that you posted the link to in another thread for a dark blue convertible the guy says it was a $6500 option. I think $6500 sounds more believeable. It cost me $4000 just to buy a really good th400/converter/and Gear Vendors unit. Then it took me a fair amount of time to put it in myself. I even gave up trying to fit the stock torque arm in (shortened and re-drilled) and designed and fabricated my own new torque arm. It's a 2 piece bolt together design and it works great for taking off and putting on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom