Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tune Up Suggestions

Ludigdrums

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
Hey everyone...I've only had my Vette since July, so I'd like to do a tune up as I don't know the last time it's been done. What are your suggestions:

I have an '81 with and Edlebrock Performer Intake, Holley 650 Carb, Headers w/True Dual Exhaust through Dynomax Ultra Flo Mufflers, No Air Pump, K&N Air Filter w/Top Element as well.

So, I don't know if anything else is different inside the engine (ex: cam) and am not sure what spark plug gap and such I should be using. I don't know if my setup changes the specs?

Thanks!

- Jeremy

As a minimum I'd change plugs, clean the air filter, and change the fuel filter. Mostly I'm just replying to say that I really like the colors on your car ;) Looks great.

the plug gap should be 45. change your oil, oil filter, fuel filter,pcv valve,get a k&n filter restore kit(clean and oil the air filter)new moustache filter in the breather? distributor cap and rotor button.that's it for parts. while your there check the plug wires for wear, soft spots, cracks etc.check battery connections for corrosion.check fan belts for cracks, and tighten if loose.check all fluids, power steering,radiator, transmission.you can also check the antifreeze in the rad for minimum temp(depends on where you live).that's about all you would need to check.

Thanks Bob_K...I like it too...unfortunately someone painted the back part with a brush, and up close, it doesn't look too hot! So, I need to take care of that. Here is a pic of my new wheelsand tires....Boyd Coddington F-08 18X10 255/40/18 front 285/40/18 rear. It's not the greatest pic...I'll post a new wheels thread soon with better pics!

Mike...thanks for the info....most of that I have done already, except for the basic tune up stuff (rotor,plugs,fuel filter,cap,wires). The K&N I recently put on myself. Just wondering if there are any specific brands that prove better than others, etc.

Thanks again!

- Jeremy

It was mentioned that you should check your wires. Personally, I would just change them. I have seen a lot of "complete" tune-ups done by friends and when completed, they couldn't figure out why it still didn't run the way they thought it should. Usually, it comes down to cutting a corner and saving money by not replacing the plug wires. Changing them out during a major tune up is money well spent.

Just my very humble opinion . . .

Ron :beer

I just finished a tune up of my '78 L48 last night and I can really tell a difference. I used all MSD parts for the cap, rotor, bushing, wires, wire separators, and Bosch Platinum (#4208) plugs. I'm very pleased with the results: smoother idle, smoother @ WOT, easier starts, and it looks terrific to have all that red stuff under the hood! It took my an hour and a half to replace it all and set the timing back the way it was but it was my first time and I was taking my time to make sure it all looked as neat as it worked.

An hour and a half?!?!

:D "I used all MSD parts for the cap, rotor, bushing, wires, wire separators, and Bosch Platinum (#4208) plugs. I'm very pleased with the results: smoother idle, smoother @ WOT, easier starts, and it looks terrific to have all that red stuff under the hood! It took my an hour and a half to replace it all and set the timing back the way it was but it was my first time and I was taking my time to make sure it all looked as neat as it worked."

You have to be kidding me, an hour and a half! It took me that long just to get everything assembled, especially lifting the engine to change those wires, or did I miss something?

:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom