Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Turbo and Super charge

S

Shadowing1985v

I was told u can't put both on your engine is this true,, if so why?

cause dont' they both run off diffearnt things,,

one exhaust,, the other intake

You can put both on your engine... Toyota did with early MR2's. However... they're both in essence the same thing. A turbo is really a 'turbo-supercharger' but for shortness' sake it's just called a turbocharger. You're correct in that one runs off the exhaust (turbocharger) but a supercharger has a belt or chain hooked directly to the crankshaft or driveshaft. Since the supercharger runs off engine power, its boost is available immediately but tends to get less effective as RPMs increase. A turbocharger, while not developing power until the engine revs climb, works better at higher RPMs. If you have both installed, the turbo would start taking over about when the supercharger runs out of air.

IMHO, though, a twin-sequential turbocharger system would be a better bet. Use one small turbo, which spools up quickly with lower RPMs but doesn't provide a LOT of air, and one larger turbo that spins up about when the smaller one runs out of boost.

Of course, my turbo experiences are with small high-revving engines with not much low-end torque. With a 350 V8 that has plenty of grunt under 3k RPM, it might only be necessary to have a single larger turbo (or one feeding each bank of cylinders, but sized the same).

Hope this helps.
[RICHR]

You can turbo and supercharge, but there are even more problems to consider... one being the unequal pressures coming from each, meaning you need a way to stop backwards air leaks (backwards meaning you don't want the supercharger to feed air into the turbocharger or vice versa) and the biggest problem on a corvette, is the lack of usable space... it is hard enough to put one or the other in the engine compartment

hehe

well,, hmm, maybe i will just stick with this,, "im getting alot of money real soon,, so im doing this to my car",

gear ratio 4:11, or what ever u guy's think my gear ratio should be changed out too

also, i have a fear of,, my back end breaking, could my torque converter get messed up with all this horse power,, and other things, also im going to rebuild my engine in 5 months,, i was goign to put a 383 in, but there is no reason too,, when im going to put,, ram air induction in, mini ram, super charge, and NOS in,,"im going to put a switching valve in,, so i can make the nos feed in slowly or just let it flood in,,but, i thought of making it where the nos kicks in when i hit a certian speed,

im going to try to build my own ram air induction,, i hear its not hard to do,, just cut ou the bumper and some stuff

I may be mistaken, but I thought NOS had to be "all or nothing." And it's easy to put a switch in so that when the accelerator passes a certain point it'll spray.

For me, though, NOS is a strip-only-car thing. I'd never put it on a street car, or one that I parked in my garage. There were some pix floating around the net maybe a year or so ago (can't find them now, they used to be at http://www.enhancedhealth.com/NOS3.htm)
of a guy whose heater and relief valve malfunctioned and blew out the back of his Nissan Maxima and half his garage.
[RICHR]

Jacobs Mastermind is a progressive nitrous controller.. Does what you want. there are also other brands, I just can't think of them right now..

Is your car auto or manual? if an auto IMHO the 3.73 rear gear ratio would be good, also an auto is a D36 you may want a D44 for a manual car. if a manual, the 4.10 gearset will be a good 1/4 mile Stop light to stop light gear. But by reading you one post you said you were going with a miniram where the 3.73 auto or the 4.10 manual combo will work good.

If you plan to stick to the long runner set-up I would then do a 3.73 with manual or a 3.54 with an auto. the thing is the TPI long runner are only good to 4800rpm MAX on a stock motor.. the larger runner will got to about 5200 or so but that is it.

Also with the Miniram you will want a good set of head and a cam to match.. yo9u set-up will then put out some good power

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom