Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

turn the key and starter does not engage

rlg

Corvette
1990 White Coupe
got in the Vette this AM, inserted key,turned key, all power comes on ,I hear the relays clicking, the radio comes on, turned it further to engage starter and nothing, no click dead silence.Battery is good.

No codes .

got out the FSM I see there is a relay that comes from the CCM and goes to the Neutral safety switch.

would the CCM show any code if the relay is bad?

first thought is bad starter, but I have learned on this car the first thought may not be correct.

Sounds like a VATS security system problem to me. The vats module reads the resistance in the little pellet in your ignition key. If it doesn't read the correct resistance, it cuts off power to your starter. Do a search on "vats" and you will find intructions on how to use a few resisters from Radio Shack to bypass the vats system.

I checked it as you suggested, then I reached down to wiggle the wires on the starter and then it sparked, the stud on the solenoid is loose causing the spark. If i remember there is a backing nut on that stud.

Anyone remember?

If it is anything like all the other GM starters I have worked on the stud that the cable is on does and a nut that holds it in the solenoid . The other screws are the same. Check the diagram , on older GM cars the power for ignition and crank came from the cable on the starter solenoid.

Glenn
:w

replaced the starter, works fine however now the radio gets no power at all.

after market radio and was working fine before replacing the starter.

all fuses are good.

Any ideas??

Check the fuse and the inline fuse if it has one. power may have spiked

Check the fuse and the inline fuse if it has one. power may have spiked

The radio fuse in the fuse block was good, I put another one in anyway.

There is a fuse in the back of the radio, maybe it blew .

Oh boy ,Out comes the radio

The radio fuse in the fuse block was good, I put another one in anyway.

There is a fuse in the back of the radio, maybe it blew .

Oh boy ,Out comes the radio

I just thought of something, the fuse in the fuse block would blow before the radio fuse and the fuse block fuse is fine.

I just thought of something, the fuse in the fuse block would blow before the radio fuse and the fuse block fuse is fine.

looking at the FSM I see the link with the wiper motor, wipers don't work, But I don't see a fuse labeled wipers, is it one of the metal fuses?

I doubt that this is the cause, but there is two banks of fuses near the battery to check.

I doubt that this is the cause, but there is two banks of fuses near the battery to check.

The wipers worked fine as did the radio before starter replacement , now neither one work, the FSM shows a 25 amp fuse in the fuse block that delivers 12 volts to the radio head. Since i have neither one now,but did before the starter replacement, I think there is a connection, the problem is I can't find the fuse.

found the fuse replaced and now the wipers work ,but still no radio??

Bob,
Looking at my FSM, I also see that the LCD (5 amp) feeds the radio control head, along with the wiper and radio fuse...??? Have to be an electrical engineer to figure out their reasoning, I guess.

Bob,
Looking at my FSM, I also see that the LCD (5 amp) feeds the radio control head, along with the wiper and radio fuse...??? Have to be an electrical engineer to figure out their reasoning, I guess.

I looked at it too, I pulled the radio out , the fuse was good in the radio.

Hooked it up to 12 volts and grounded it. Didn't work.

Good friend here in Tulsa owns Kenny's auto Acc. he said the Kenwood could still be bad even if the fuse is good.

It's under warranty , so I will send it in. It's a 6-8 week time line so I just bought another one. I will worry about the replacement later.

when you reinstalled the wires on the terminals on the starter solinoid are you sure you got the small wire on corrrectly, Im betting this is something simple. could be wrong but sounds like it.

I took the radio in , it is fine.

there were 3 wires coming from the starter

The big black one that goes to the battery, the smaller black wire that goes to the solenoid.I have a 3rd wire with a fusable link that was hooked to the battery, I have tried it bothways on and off. I thought it might be from the aftermarket alarm that was on the car.

car starts fine all lights work.

It did blow the 25 amp fuse when I wiggled the wires and it sparked at the solenoid, That's why I changed starters.

I am not sure the radio guy told me the truth.

I am getting 12 volts to the radio and I tried grounding it to the battery, radio will not work.

I tried 12 volts from the battery and it still doesn't work.

have another radio on the way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom