Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Twisting, Winding Roads

Florida Guy

Corvette
'96 Torch Red LT4
I ran the Tail of the Dragon last year and had a ball. I'm looking for a stretch of road that is equally fun. Anyone have a favorite one that they like to travel? I saw a mention of Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Has anybody driven that? I've got the itch to go somewhere.

:lou

Yes, Skyline Drive and the Blueridge Parkway are an excellent drive.

Route 6 across the top of PA is also a good drive, more scenic than twisty-turny.

The TAMIAMI Trail just not doing it for you? ;LOL

When you did the Dragon, did you also try the Cherohala Skyway aka the Mile High Skyway?

tourmap_lrg.gif

It begins in Tellico Plains TN and ends in Robbinsville NC. It's not as tight and twistie as the Dragon, but it's more than twistie enough for fun. At 36 miles, it's much longer than the 11 mile Dragon, has lots of places to pull off and picnic or enjoy the scenery and take photos.

But... I don't recommend driving it at night, it's desolate and there's no streetlights or gas stations. No good for wintertime driving either... it travels over 5400 foot high mountains and is treacherous in icy conditions.

For more info, photos and a couple of elevation charts, go here : Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

:wJane Ann

Yes, we drove the Cherohala Skyway, too. And enjoyed it.

No, jcruz. The Tamiami Trail just doesn't quite cut it for me. :(

I ran the Tail of the Dragon last year and had a ball. I'm looking for a stretch of road that is equally fun. Anyone have a favorite one that they like to travel? I saw a mention of Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. Has anybody driven that? I've got the itch to go somewhere.

:lou
Yea, living in Florida does have some limitations. In the words of Tom Adams (MM-C5) "Here in Florida, we have the Tail of The Gator. It's 318 miles with 11 turns!" :L A friend of mine just did the Skyline Drive, and he said that while it was a nice ride, he isn't in any hurry to do it again. When he did it (this past Friday the 25th) it was cloudy and the visibility wasn't all that great. If you were up north I would say the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire, or Acadia National Park in Maine during foliage season would work. Hell, ANY road in New Hampshire or Vermont during foliage season would work. Anyway, half the fun is deciding where to go, and the other 90% is the enjoying. No matter WHAT or WHERE you decide, have fun planning AND enjoying it.
Andy :w

How about NJ?:beer

Any good twisty roads to cruize on in NJ for this nice Fall we are having?:cool

Here is Western, PA our roads are ALL twisty as heck, except for the interstates. Just pick one, a local road near me old rt. 56, has more twists and turns than well at lot of roads, follows an old wagon road. Lots of 90 degree corners, ups and downs,etc...very challenging, but quite fun. Gotta watch out for those deer however.

311 from Salem Va to Catawba then to Paint Bank to Sweet springs Then to 159 to 64 then back to Covington top pick up 18 and back to paint bank. There is a cool store and resaurant at Paint bank "The swinging bridge".
Also The Home place In Catawba is a great family style restaurant.

`Bat Cave road out'ta Old Fort NC over the continental divide to Hwy 9 to Bat Cave is allot of fun if you have the Nads for it!!:thumb (Lots of 90*-200* turns with switch backs,No Gard Rails,Lots of trees and 400-1200 feet down if you miss one!!) Hwy 9 out of Black Mountain NC to Bat Cave has some purdy narley hump-de-do's and lolly-giggles too!!:thumb:thumbI've got lots of great Mountain black top's around here with hardly any traffic to play on if it's not Leaf Look'n Season!!:thumb:thumb:thumb US 181 North out of Morganton NC to Linville Falls is one of my favorite high speed runs,banked curves and 3 lanes on steep grades!!US 80 out of Pleasant Gardens NC to the Blue Ridge Parkway is purdy hairy too!!(Thats where the JunkMan got his "Whopper Ticket and Probation for a Year" road testing the Z06 after repairing it!!):chuckle First time I've ever seen a cop on that road in 15+ years,If I'd known his radio and cell didn't work there,I'd run his butt up the Mountain too!:D But the cop was a good sport,told me he appreciated me not running him up the mountain and took me to the court house to post bond and gave me a ride back to the car!!:L:L:L

Route 9 Vermont

Route 9 Vermont from Brattleboro to Bennington through the Green Mountains. Unlike the Tail Of The Dragon, this road is wide, has many right lanes for slower traffic and you can go like hell through the turns.
Remo:cool

Google Maps

WOW! That sounds like fun! Legal street rally type racing! Any up in the North East???? That would be sweet!:thumb

None that I know of up North with the exception of Arnold, NB (Sandhill Open Road Challenge). Most are in NV and Texas. An ORR really requires the locals to be involved and a State that will allow it to happen.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom