Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Type of shock?

ZAL81

Corvette
81 Charcoal Metallic 4-spd & 94 Red 6 spd vert
My 94 convertible has the FX3 suspenison. What is a good replacement shock for this system? I have the Bilsteins on the car now, but theres no way in H*** I'll pay 200 bucks apeice for new Bilsteins. Would something like the KYB's work on this set-up? The car has 52K on it and the ride seems to be a little on the hard side, no matter what I have the select ride set on. Zane

Bilstien can rebuild your shocks if you are interested the # 1-800-537-1085 Lou was the guy to talk to. Chuck

Last I heard, they raised their prices on rebuilds in order to sell more new shocks. That's just what I heard. ;)

_ken :w

I emailed their online tech support and they told me they don't even do rebuilds?
Maybe I tried the wrong division or something.

Hmm :crazy

You could always go for the Edelbrock IACs. I have heard those are very good *cough-Ken-cough*

A little pricey, but not $200 a peice pricey

I haven't heard of any other shock that will work with the FX3, but you can put standard shocks in a disable the system...... the other option is to rebuild... also, when they rebuild, they can make them softer or harder to your taste. There was an excellent article in one of the corvette magazines a couple of months ago about the FX3 system... i will try to dig it up

Oh, and why do you need new shocks? is the system broken, or are they worn out?

I don't have a light on in the DIC, so I guess the system is working ok, but they appear to be leaking and the ride doesn't seem to change at all when I change the setting on the console switch. If fact, I think my 81 might even ride better than my 94! I also seem to have what feels like a wheel out of balance shimmie in my steering wheel. And yes I have checked the wheel balance and the bearings and all the usual stuff, so I'm thinking shocks? Zane

Zane do you have run flats? All my ride,noise and handling improved when I took off my run flats. Like riding in a different car. I don't notice any difference in any of the setting. I was told by Gordon Killbrew who was the C4 trouble shooter at the factory that you probably can not feel the different settings. He told me to take the car down a bumpy road and move the settings around and you will feel the difference. Chuck

Chuck, Yes I do have run flats. Maybe thats the whole problem. What kind of tires did you replace yours with? Maybe I'll check into that solution for mine. Zane

Zane I replaced mine with Goodyear Eagle Ultra HP. I am retired from Goodyear so I get them at a good price. A lot of guys like the Firestones. Run your hand over the the outside tread area of the tires and see if you feel any wavey effect. If you do they will only get worse. Mine was so noisy I thougt the rear end was going bad. The LTWS will not work on some tires. One of the Goodyear Eagle brands is one of them ask your dealer. Also no matter what brand you get when you have them installed take the service manager out to your car and show him your Service LTWS light is not on. Tell him you expect the light to be off when they have the tires mounted back on the car. That protects you if they damage one of your wheel sensors. Chuck

I replaced my tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE730s and absolutely love them! Much better ride quality, vibrations are gone, and very low tire noise.

kfehling said:
I replaced my tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE730s and absolutely love them! Much better ride quality, vibrations are gone, and very low tire noise.

How much were they ??
I'm do for at least fronts in the spring.

Question
I have one front tire that goes totally flat if it sits a couple weeks.
None of the others do this so I seem to have a very small leak.
If I put in a can of that fix a flat stuff will it mess up the rim?

I think that stuff is gooey gunks that plugs the hole.
Not sure if it would stick to the rim and cause future problems???

I am not sure of the "goo" fix, I would just take it to a shop and have it fixed. As for the Bridgestones, I believe that they were around $160 each and I have had them for a couple of years now with about 25,000 miles on them. The fronts still have plenty of tread left, the rears are starting to get low.

I also remember Hib Halverson doing a review of the new Goodyear Eagle F1 or SuperCar tire that is now available in sizes for our C4s. You might try to search for it in the CAC database. As I recall, Hib really liked them. Good luck!:SANTA

Corvette-Pilot said:
How much were they ??
I'm do for at least fronts in the spring.

Question
I have one front tire that goes totally flat if it sits a couple weeks.
None of the others do this so I seem to have a very small leak.
If I put in a can of that fix a flat stuff will it mess up the rim?

I think that stuff is gooey gunks that plugs the hole.
Not sure if it would stick to the rim and cause future problems???

You should bring that into a shop, maybe there's something they can do about that.

I was told that if you have the tire pressure sensors, don't use the fix a flat stuff as it will mess up the sensors.

Edmond said:
You should bring that into a shop, maybe there's something they can do about that.

I was told that if you have the tire pressure sensors, don't use the fix a flat stuff as it will mess up the sensors.

No pressure sensors to deal with.
Since the rim is a porous material, it may have a leak.
I know you can have that fixed easy enough.

This particular tire is worn out so it needs to be replaced so....

Kind of off the original subject here, but I have a slow leak in one of my tires too. I'm curious as to what to look out far when I take it in to have it fixed? I have the pressure sensors so I know you have to break the bead in a certain spot to avoid damage, but my decal/label on that rim is missing so I'm not sure where to break it down at. Is the sensor in the same spot on all the wheels. or are they in different locations. Thanks Zane

Odds are not a leaky rim......

unless you took one apart. I made that mistake with my Epsilon 3-piece wheels, to polish them real perty.

Look for a nail or screw in the tread. It'll probably look shiny if the car has been driven with it.

You can use a soapy water on the valve to see it it's loose. It'll make bubbles if leaking; perhaps tiny ones. The soapy watrer can alos find leaks in the tread, ut the tire needs to be off for an adequate inspection.

Use the repair stuff only in an emergency. Posts elsewhere talked of why.

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom