Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

u-joint woes

400hp_76

Corvette
Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops
Broke my second U-joint since the 4.11 gearswap. The car is still not near as fast as it should be. That should be handled by some major timing adjustments and jetting the carb down. I guess in another 3 or 4 weeks i will have replaced all 4. Thats one way to do it. I put ujoints without greese fittings. I saw on a post after i changed the ujoints that they are stronger. is that tru?

For 400HP yeah

Soild ( non zerk ) Spicer U joints....

But you SHOULD do all the rearend if your ROMPING....

Rear end yokes...
HD U joint caps
hardened flanges & hubs...

If your putting out that kinda HP and USE IT...

Your going to break more than the U joints.....

I'm assuming stick too!

Vig!

If you are asking whether i am manual or not, no. I have a th350 with a strip shift kit from b&m and a 2400 stall converter. I still have the u bolts, which i plan to upgrade.

Ok auto

So that will be a TAD easier on the rearend as opposed to a stick.. and sidestepping the clutch.

Vig!

Never!...

Rev the engine in neutral and then drop it into gear!
You WILL break something.
Yes, speaking from an "I witnessed this..." experience!
Heidi

78silv

I also witnessed that...because i did it...before i knew anything about cars...it was very bad...bye bye spindle...sheared that bad boy right off...ha

400hp sounds like pretty good power, what are you running at the strip? On street tires or do you have nittos? 60ft? You should be deep in the 12's with that (corrected of course).

What type of differential do you have? 12 bolt? 10 bolt?

I am going to shoot for over 400rwhp with a 400cu SB, should be easy and very streetable and I'll be able to take out ZO6's:cool I have kinda looked at what I am going to need to do and the drivetrain is probably what needs the most attention.

You might want to check out www.dennysdriveshaft.com I am sure they can help you and and give you information on what you need to do. Hope this helps.

ss

The 400hp is estimated at the flywheel. I am havin some trouble with the carb and timing so its only running around 13.9. Lot of little things i have to get straightened out. i have a set of 4.11 gears in. and i am runnin bf goodrich comp t/a's with 180 treadwear. something is off...but i should get it worked out here shortly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom