Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

U-joints. How good are yours?

Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
Just bought my '81 last fall, and the only miles I put on it were the 20 to get it home. It drove like crap, mostly due to bad tires. I have fixed several problems, and checked out several things, including driveshaft and halfshaft movement from underneath. I can never seem to find a bad u-joint by just twisting things around and watching for excessive play. I ordered the rear diff. mount bushings last week (bottom one is split and cracked) and pulled the driveshaft to get a headstart. One u-joint seemed fine, one a little tight. Looked at the halfshafts and thought WELL WHY NOT! (Life is so much easier with a four post lift!) Right side out, one seemed good, then a cap fell off the other one, and with a poof of rust dust, needle bearings were all over the floor. Turns out that was the GOOD side. The other shaft had one that had rusty goo inside the caps, but the other end was downright scary. The ends of the u-joint still in the halfshaft were moving around everywhich way. The bearings are obviously gone completely. I'm SO glad I pulled those halfshafts now! Otherwise, it might have made for a memorable first cruise down the highway. I don't think losing a u-joint at speed is something I ever care to experience!
Dick

I just had mine checked today. My mechanic says that you cannot really inspect them without removing the shafts, but you usually can see some tell tale rust.

He says they look fine, but, I can only imagine a half shaft coming loose at speed. I think I will change them out anyway.

Neepawa said:
I just had mine checked today. My mechanic says that you cannot really inspect them without removing the shafts, but you usually can see some tell tale rust.

He says they look fine, but, I can only imagine a half shaft coming loose at speed. I think I will change them out anyway.

Yikes!!!

I had a wheel fall off of a car twice in my life.
Not fun!!!

I better look into this.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom