Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

U-joints stiff after install--is this normal?

redvette63

Corvette
1963 Convertible
I recently installed new u-joints on the right half-shaft on my 63 Vette. I noticed they moved freely before install, but once the retaining clips were installed, the joints were pretty stiff. Is this normal? Will they loosen up after a while? Or do I need to redo the job? Appreciate any feedback.

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
They will be stiffer than the old ones for awhile but you should be able to move them with your hands.

Tom

car-nuts

I recently installed new u-joints on the right half-shaft on my 63 Vette. I noticed they moved freely before install, but once the retaining clips were installed, the joints were pretty stiff. Is this normal? Will they loosen up after a while? Or do I need to redo the job? Appreciate any feedback.

Been a long time since I've done U-joints, but my recollection is that if the U-joints are overly stiff after you've installed the U-joint caps into the shaft, then before bolting the shaft into the car you need to give the shaft a sharp rap or two with a small hammer (with the shaft hand-held free in the air rather than lying on a workbench surface), about in the spot marked with a red "X" (on both sides) to loosen the tension on the bearings:

u-joint.jpeg

The issue is that the caps, as you pressed them in, are not in perfect alignment with the U-joint shafts, causing some binding; the vibration from the hammer rap(s) usually allows them to shift slightly so as to move into better alignment and free the joint.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom