Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Uaw defeated in tennessee - would corvette be better built without unions

unclevito

Corvette
1964 red convertible
The UAW was defeated by a vote at the VW plant in Tennessee yesterday. That VW plant will continue to be right to work. My question is would it be possible to oust the union from the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green. Most Union workers are lazy and do not cooperate with management. They also do not try to do a good job. I think the Corvette would be a much better car if it was not made by Union workers but was made by workers that really wanted their jobs.

Would it be possible for GM to lock out their union workers at the Corvette plant and get real workers in there? I think Tennessee is a good place to start. Look what Union workers did to Detroit. Corvette is also not the greatest in the reliability department. Its assembly could definitely be improved.

Comments?

I feel this is a moot question. Due to union contracts and bail out contracts with the Obama administration, GM is stuck with the UAW and is hamstrung with workmanship limitations on the Corvette. Sad.

I've been to the plant many times, and it's hard to determine whether it's a union plant or not. The place is run like a shop, more than a line. Seems the assemblers move around a lot, unlike the old union model where they are glued to their specific job and spot. They also seem pretty loose and it looks like the first line supervisors work well with them. After a lot of years working in corporate HR, I can smell a sick factory, and BG doesn't have that odor. The Corvette plant is about quality rather than pure numbers, and the workers will tell you they care very much about their place in the Corvette lifestyle.

i'd be interested in what kind of workmanship limitations the poster is referring to.

It's obvious the paint robots are slackers, but they aren't union members.

Last edited:
Its tough to make generalities about union v. non-union workers. I can guarantee you that I work with some non-union people that are less than motivated. It is true that the goals of the union are not always in sync with the company.

No way you are going to blast the union out of any GM plant.....and I can't fault all of Detroits woe's on the union....top heavy management and stupid we can't be touched attitudes all contributed. I think the folks at the Corvette plant are very happy to have a job and know that the quality of the products they make will help sustain those jobs. The same with the men and women of the Harley Davidson plants I have visited. They are proud to be a part of that lifestyle and take pride in their work......

That being said I am a right to work kinda guy but the time to take it out is not let it in....which is what VW is doing.....If you take good care of your people and pay them a fair wage and benifits there is no reason for a union.

No way you are going to blast the union out of any GM plant.....and I can't fault all of Detroits woe's on the union....top heavy management and stupid we can't be touched attitudes all contributed. I think the folks at the Corvette plant are very happy to have a job and know that the quality of the products they make will help sustain those jobs. The same with the men and women of the Harley Davidson plants I have visited. They are proud to be a part of that lifestyle and take pride in their work......

That being said I am a right to work kinda guy but the time to take it out is not let it in....which is what VW is doing.....If you take good care of your people and pay them a fair wage and benifits there is no reason for a union.

You are right. If you get a union in the South, you no-doubt deserve one. Add the fact that Southerners, generally have a lower wage expectation than Northerners and Mid-westerners. All the industries and headquarters moving south are not a coincident. Even firms without union concerns are moving here. Sometimes I think we are the China of the US. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom