Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Under hood light - car shows

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
Well, the '06 went to its first car show yesterday. Didn't win anything mainly because I didn't have the hood up when the judges came by - my bad.

I noticed that the under hood light stayed on all the time. There was another '06 there as well and its owner mentioned that his light never went out either. He said that his previous '05 under hood light when out after a short time.

I had noticed that my light stayed on all the time also, so I took to closing the hood when no one was around it and looking.

Now my question: Is the underhood light supposed to stay on all the time when the hood is up?
This is not how my C5 works and, according to my friend, not how the '05 worked.

Is there a switch or fuse to kill the underhood light for car shows, etc. on the '06?

I have not had my 05 to any shows yet but I understand that the light is supposed to go out after about 15 minutes. It would be nice to have a switch to turn it off, I am also very interested in any first hand knowledge that anyone would have on this subject.

just unplug it!

c5vetter said:
just unplug it!

If it's supposed to have a timer to turn it off, then I'd like to know and I'd like to know that it works.
Besides, unplugging it leaves loose wires for people to see.

Hood, interior, and rear compartment lights will all turn off after a 15-20 minute interval on my 05. Easiest way to check is leave the hood open and time it.

apeetoom@comcast.net said:
Hood, interior, and rear compartment lights will all turn off after a 15-20 minute interval on my 05. Easiest way to check is leave the hood open and time it.

I agree, that's how mine works.

Underhood Lights

I know this an old post but here goes anyway......I unplugged my lights some time ago and just let the wires hang, however, I popped the hood the other day, the driver side wire caught on something and pulled a couple of the plastic wire routers (separators?) loose and broke so that I can't push them back in the holes and of course one of them is under the inner wheel well. Anyone know where to get replacements for these little........??? :mad

I owned an 86 coupe some time ago and just installed small in-line rocker switched in the under hood light wiring. Got them at the hardware store for a few bucks.

Thanks for the post, should have switched them when I took 'em loose but didn't now have the wire holder issue!! I scanned my parts manuel but couldn't find the part number (if there is one!). Appreciate the help. :thumb :w

The light will turn off as other have stated. However, if you open a door or the hatch the timer starts over again.

The best alternative is to unhook it if you are concerned about draining your battery. The connector is far enough down on the side of the radiator shroud that it is not visible except on an inspection for the most part. You can always hook it back up when the judges come by and then unhook it after.

Yes, it'll "timeout" after about 15 minutes. As stated above, if you open a door or hatch, the clock starts all over again. You can unplug it for show purposes. Remember, if you have your "bonnett" open, you'll incur fender scratches/damage as people lean over to inspect your engine compartment. Close your bonnett and no more fender damage...;)

my under the hood light doesnt come on now.. i dont know why,,,,, any help

My '08 doesn't even have a light. One less thing to worry about.

I believe there is an aftermarket harness for the underhood light with a built-in switch that plugs in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom