Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

under hood light

hotrod2

Corvette
1985 c4
hi guys nice to talk with ya all again i was wanting to know where the under hood light switch is?? i have power to the wires and want to put bulbs in but where does it shut off at ??
i also have a bad shake on left rear wheel at 60 and really bad at 70, reat tires are brand new and balanced , im thinking it might be bushings??

thanks to help from you guys and internet it is running great, lights the tires up with ease ,just a fun car to drive thanks again ppl:thumb

<------- ITS A 1985 IN MY SIG TO THE LEFT :)

Last edited:
We gotta know the year before anybody can help you! None of them have light switches, but that can be fixed. If you're only interested in shutting off the lights, just close the hood and they'll go off!

:eyerole

Hot rod roy - sorry i thought i put the year in , its a 85, i was told it had a switch under the hood on them, so how do they go out if there is no switch
sorry for caps , im mostly asleep

I must have missed that your year was posted in your sig panel. I wasn't quite sure what your question was. There are mercury switches in each of the hood lamp housings that turn the lamps on when you open the hood. You can verify that by slowly opening your hood in the dark.

If you want to be able to turn the lights off while the hood is up, that's a different question! If that's what you want, some modification will be required, unless you just want to pull a fuse to turn them off! Pulling the CTSY/CLK fuse is an easy way. (That will kill a bunch of other stuff, too!)

I don't have the wiring info for the '85. My '84 is different, so I can't help with the re-wire question. Eckler's sells a switch kit, but it's an insane price! It can't be that difficult!!! (I put a switch in my '84.)

:w

I bought the wiring kit from one of the vendors (don't remember which) and it's a simple plug and play. Been a while but IIRC the connectors are down by the headlights. You unplug them, plug the source connector into one of the power wires. there are 2 connectors that plug into the lights and a plug for the unused power wire. The wiring is weather tight so no water leakage. It works well and has a pushbutton switch to enable or disable the under-hood lights without pulling any connectors or fuses.

The hardest point was running the wiring from one side to the other to connect both lights. I ran mine below the radiator and wire tied it down.

hot rod roy thats exactly what i needed to know!!! fantastic, i am putting in the bulbs then i was worried they wouldnt shut off or something cause i couldnt find a switch "because someone told me there was a switch"

thanks guys!!!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom