Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Unknown Coolant Device

Loubiere

Corvette
I am experiencing a coolant drip on my 86 C4 L98 when I stop the engine. I can't get to the leak without a lot of work. I was wondering what it does. It appears to have a vent on the left side.

Attachments

• Device? C4.jpg
    Device? C4.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120
I was wondering what it does. It appears to have a vent on the left side.
Your photo is clear as mud
but in the location above / behnd the crank pulley you have the water pump
with the radiator and heater hose connections;
ALL are potential major source of leaks when old and worn

Your photo is clear as mud
LOL, true. I blew it up and sharpened the pic and still agree!

The leak may not be just upon shutdown.

Is the car losing coolant over time; how rapidly?
Some parts chain stores rent coolant pressure testing kits. Borrow one and test. :w

Photo

Sorry about the picture quality. It is very hard to just see. Taking a picture is almost impossible.

I think I will have to move the AC compressor to be able to see what is there.

Thanks for the input.

Sorry about the picture quality. It is very hard to just see. Taking a picture is almost impossible.

Thanks for the input.

Follow the leak to it's highest point. I would use a small articulating mirror (like dentists used to use) and with a bright flash light follow the coolant to it's highest path, looking very closely at the water pump weep hole for coolant stains. Good luck with it. :)

It is very hard to just see. Taking a picture is almost impossible.

Thanks for the input.
After 15 years of C4's , I know exactly what is in there but can not identify what item you are referring to from your pic

Can you identify it here ?

Leak

I can't see it the picture (nice engine) but I believe it would be attached to the small connection above the main inlet to the water pump.

The leak does not occur while running hot. I have allowed to reach operating temperature while idling on ramps and it dries up. I used dye and UV light to chase it down to that biscuit sized thing. It did not leak prior to flushing and changing the the coolant. I did not use any chemicals. The coolant appeared to have some sort of solids in it.

I decided to try the GM Coolant Tabs and the leak stopped! I remembered GM recommending them in the mid-eighties and nighties. I don't like this solution but until I remove some stuff off the engine, I can't see those hose connections.

Thanks for the picture and advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom