Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Update on progress and advice needed

PokerJoker

Corvette
Hi everyone, been a long time but I wanted to check in with an update and thank everyone for the advice back when I started this project.

I now have all the guages working, but my Check Engine Light still blinks...just a continuous slow blinking. New plugs, wires, fluids...she fires right up every time. Wants to bog down when I give her the gas, I think this original quadrajet needs rebuilding, I may need some help from you guys when I get to that!;help

I've been trying to get the interior finished. Here's a few images. This is by no means going to be a show car, but it's come a long way from the day I bought it.

Question: This winter I'm going to try to start removing the paint, as you can see it's chipping off in chunks right now...don't know why, but it is. I've read about guys using razor blades, do you just lightly try to scrape it off then sand what won't chip off? I'm just not sure how to start.;shrug

Thanks,
Jeff

That interior is coming together nicely, it looks great!! I've used chemical strippers in the past, but haven't done it in a while. Then wet sanding to finish the job. Maybe a check of the paint and body supply stores will have some good suggestions? I used a water soluble stripper that worked great and wasn't harmful to the environment. Not sure of the brand though. What color are you planning?

I'm going to keep it white. I really like the White on Red.

The chemical stippers make me nervous, but I'll look into it. I shouldn't take off the gray right? The gray is the primer, correct? I feel pretty dumb asking...lol.

Thanks!

The razor blade method literally scrapes the old paint off. It works. The trick is to keep a sharp blade in the scraper and keep the scraper parrallel with the surface.

You can use chemical paint strippers which will not harm fiberglass. Auto Spra Strip is one.

Good luck.

:)

Looking good on the interior. I've heard chem strippers can soak into the fiberglass and leach out after the repaint so be careful. I plan on media blasting or sanding as well as the blade method.

...I've heard chem strippers can soak into the fiberglass and leach out after the repaint so be careful...

Some strippers can/do affect fiberglass. Others do not. You should be okay if you stick with the fiberglass-safe strippers. I used Auto Spra Strip without any problems.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom