Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Upgrade to electronic ignition....

Stemmer

Corvette
I'd like to convert my 327 small block Chevy from points and condenser to electronic ignition. There are a few options, kits from Mallory, Crane or Pertronix that use the original distributor), a MSD unit (using the original points as a trigger) or a GM HEI distributor swap...

My Corvette is not restored to NCRS standards nor is it a numbers matching car. It is a show & shine, sunday cruiser... However I'm constanly doing things to upgrade her...

My car is already using a Accel Super Stock ignition coil....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

I'd like to convert my 327 small block Chevy from points and condenser to electronic ignition. There are a few options, kits from Mallory, Crane or Pertronix that use the original distributor), a MSD unit (using the original points as a trigger) or a GM HEI distributor swap...

My Corvette is not restored to NCRS standards nor is it a numbers matching car. It is a show & shine, sunday cruiser... However I'm constanly doing things to upgrade her...

I have the petronix in my 67. I like it and still looks stock

I've had bad experience with the Mallory "Unilite" on my old 73 Ford Thunderbird. The LED burned out and left me high and dry. It's sort of a Light beam thru a special sloted rotor that they supply you that pulses the coil on and off. Of course when the rotor wares out you have to buy there's.

The others I looked at which were point replacements were ok ..but the Crane unit seems to stand out above the rest.
http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=5&prt=1973

It's a simple bolt in operation and even has a built in Adjustable Rev limiter. Worked really well.

In my 502 I run the "MSD" Distributor with the tach drive and "MSD" 6AL Spark Box. Alot of C-2 Guys run the "MSD" Tach Drive Distributor Vs the stock. But the stock Distributor if properly set up and in good shape will work just as well with the "MSD" 6AL spark Box.

If your Distributor is questionable either send it out and have it checked and repaired and recureved for the motor so you have a rock solid ignition to work with.

:beer

I have also had good luck with pertronics on my 67. But i still keep a set of points in the car just in case...

I ran a Unilight in my 65 for about 30 years without a problem.

I installed a Pertronics in my 57 and it stranded me about 10 months later. Had to reinstall points and condenser to get home. Pertronics sent me another one no charge.

Carry points, condenser and appropriate tools just in case.

Verle

...what VNV said:bang

If you have the room and don't care about an original look both Mallory and MSD make an all new HEI that is hard to beat. I added up all of the parts to rebuild the HEI I had for my 355 in the truck and the bottom line was much more than the complete new Mallory that I bought from Summit. It has a cnc billet base with all hi po parts and an adjustable vacuum advance for about $146.00 complete ready to bolt in. Plus if you got stranded standard GM HEI parts available anywhere could be put in to get you home. I have a good used module I will throw in the glove box when I start driving it but I have never had an HEI quit. It does happen though. I've had points break and condensers poop out too. I used to carry spare Mallory points, condensor and rotor for my dual point in the '59. I will again next year when it's on the road again.

If you have the room and don't care about an original look both Mallory and MSD make an all new HEI that is hard to beat. I added up all of the parts to rebuild the HEI I had for my 355 in the truck and the bottom line was much more than the complete new Mallory that I bought from Summit. It has a cnc billet base with all hi po parts and an adjustable vacuum advance for about $146.00 complete ready to bolt in. Plus if you got stranded standard GM HEI parts available anywhere could be put in to get you home. I have a good used module I will throw in the glove box when I start driving it but I have never had an HEI quit. It does happen though. I've had points break and condensers poop out too. I used to carry spare Mallory points, condensor and rotor for my dual point in the '59. I will again next year when it's on the road again.

Great price..!! Does it have the Tach Drive hook up??

I got stranded with the pertronix conversion twice, then I converted to an HEI, and it ran great. You have to power it from your ignition pink wire so that you have power while starting and on.

Regards

MSD is the way to go. A bit pricy but 100% reliable. Spend the money on the tach drive if you want to keep the tach. I could sell you mine since I went with Pro Comp gauges I don't use it. PM me if you are interested. MSD will 'wake up' your car.

MSD is the way to go. 100% reliable. Change the dist. as well. You'll spend more correcting yours to run correctly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom