Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vacuum switch question

mikevochis

Corvette
03 50th Convert, 91 & 94 coupes & 96 Collectors
I'm currently having some mild engine work done on a 1978 L82. My mechanic thinks there should be a "vacuum switch"(maybe incorrect wording) in the thermostat housing. My local chevy dealer can only find the part for a 1979 & newer. I think my mechanic might be describing the part wrong, or maybe there shouldn't even be one. Any help...part number or correct name, would be greatly appreciated.

ported vacum switch

mikevochis- I have an original 78 only catalog at work.I'll verify that info and post it here when I get to work in the morning.I think that should have one.It's called a ported vacum switch.

Dave

If it's the same as a 75 the thermostatic switch in the thermostat housing controls the diaphragm for the heat riser valve located on the right side exhaust manifold outlet. That is all the switch did. If the heat riser is no longer there the switch could be eliminated. I got rid of mine by using a bi-metal operated heat riser valve.

ported vacum switch

current GM# 355963.Still available from GM Parts. Current list price 14.32 - wholesale 10.03.

You guys are the best!!!! Thank you

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom