Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Value of 78 Silver Anniversary

O

Ominous C5

I'm trying to determine if $22.5K is a reasonable offer to make on a '78 Silver Anniversary coupe, with only 382 miles, L82 and close ratio 4spd. The sticker is still on the car. The car has the following major options:

A31--Power Windows
B2Z--Silver Anniv Paint
L82
M21
FE7--Gymkhana Susp
YJ8--Alumn wheels

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric

78 price

Hi Eric,
22.5 sounds like a high end price...but for the options you've shown, and ONLY 382 miles!!!! It sounds like the car is pristine...and that price seems reasonable to me.

Silver aka: Heidi

Ominous C5 Welcome to The Corvette Action Center

Ominous C5: I'm trying to determine if $22.5K is a reasonable offer to make on a '78 Silver Anniversary coupe, with only 382 miles, L82 and close ratio 4spd. The sticker is still on the car. The car has the following major options:

This is not by any means a professional opinion :eyerole
I would have a hard time paying that much for a '78 Corvette with only 382 miles on it. Any car that has sat that long with that low of milage is bound to have problems.... yes problems :eek it would seem to me that everything would leak, I would question the wheel bearings, brakes, third member, transmission, power steering and rubber in the suspension. I realize it is probably like NEW, but it is still 23 Years OLD and, sitting that long is not a good thing for automobiles.

The 78 Silver Anniversary is a nice car, you have come across a very unique deal. If it were the 78 Pace Car with the options you list, I may feel different. All the 78 Corvettes came with the Silver Anniversary Silver Logo on the hood and gas cap. The Anniversary Edition came with the two tone paint job, while the Pace Car came with the Silver and Black and spoiler package.

I think it is a bit to much to pay for a 78 Anniversary, I would think it is about $5k to $6k over priced... but that is just my OPINION.. But, hey if it is what you are looking for and it makes you happy go for it..

It's not every day you find a 23 year old NEW CORVETTE.

BudD
:w

Bud makes a good point...

I have to agree about sitting around and dried up...

I've seen completely restored 78s priced for 22.5, which is why I felt it was a reasonable price. But please do take into consideration how long everything has sat, it can be a nightmare.

Here are some numbers:
Sport Coupe 40,274 $9351.89
Anniversary 15,283 $10130.89
Pace Car 6,502 $13653.89
Total 62,059 '78 Corvettes

*above are base prices from 1978, options costed extra.
SA was required to have the 2/silver paint, alum wheels and sport mirrors; PC was required to have black/silver paint, alum wheels w/red, sport mirrors and front and rear spoilers.

Two engines were offered in '78:
L-82 12,739
L-48 49,320...again totaling 62,059.

I gathered this information from a CAC member's website. If you will click on 'members' and search for Pace78 you can view his website and check out all of the information he has. I believe his info is accurate.

Silver

C5,
Bud makes a good analysis of that 78. You didn't mention the actual asking price for the car.
Also does it have A/C??? I personally would not buy a Vette without it unless it was a early 70 and back.. Good luck with your decision..:cool