Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VALVE COVER GROMMET LEAKS

EOLIVER

Corvette
1989 DARK BLU METALIC SIX SPEED CONV
I have a 1989 Corvette Conv and I recently repalced the valve cover grommets on both sides but on the dirver side cover ther still appears to be a small leak from the PVC vavle grommet. Could this be a blowby situation or could exhaust back pressure cause this? When I purchase corvettes, I usually have the exhaust checked for back pressure, but have not got around to it. The motor just turned over 90K and I think its to soon for a blow by (worn rings) Interested in hearing advice on how to seal the grommets.

Are you sure the PCV valve is working ?

Glenn
:w

Yes both the grommet and PCV valve are brand new.

I should also say I don't know the history on the engine. It has an adjustable fuel pressure regualator and aftermarket ACCEL fuel injectors.

Maybe the grommet isn't the right size.
Did you buy it 'specifically' for your C4 from a Corvette parts supplier, or did you get it from an auto parts store ?

The auto parts stores have grommets that look the same, but are really different sizes.

[Just my .02]

I have a 1989 Corvette Conv and I recently repalced the valve cover grommets on both sides but on the dirver side cover ther still appears to be a small leak from the PVC vavle grommet. Could this be a blowby situation or could exhaust back pressure cause this? When I purchase corvettes, I usually have the exhaust checked for back pressure, but have not got around to it. The motor just turned over 90K and I think its to soon for a blow by (worn rings) Interested in hearing advice on how to seal the grommets.

Did you find your problem? I need to replace my valve cover grommets also on my '86. It only has 65,000 on it and runs great but I am getting leakage around both grommets and the oil fill cap. I don't know wether to just go to the auto parts store or look somewhere else. I don't see any listed in Mid America's or Corvette Central's catalogs.

Thanks.

Did you find your problem? I need to replace my valve cover grommets also on my '86. It only has 65,000 on it and runs great but I am getting leakage around both grommets and the oil fill cap. I don't know wether to just go to the auto parts store or look somewhere else. I don't see any listed in Mid America's or Corvette Central's catalogs.

Thanks.

I just found them listed in Corvette Central. Is there really any difference between these and the ones at the corner parts store?

Thanks.

Do a leak down test on the engine! It sounds as you have excessive blow by past the rings. That can force oil leaks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom