Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Valve Lash results

70 LT-1 convert

Set my valve lash this weekend and WOW what a difference!!!!
I have avoided this process for 2 years. With all the different advise, set while running, set while cold, set from TDC, and so on, I finally made a decision how I would proceed and everything went smooth. I did have a little extra tapping, solid lifters of course, and the adjustments were what I would consider small but the results were large. I followed the process in an old Chiltons manual for cars from 1960 to 1970. I warmed the car to normal running temp. and set them with the engine off. If there is any interest I will post the procedure I used.

I just built and dropped in a new engine, and set the it to 0 lash, ran it for about 1/2 hour of so and tightened any loose valves. Will take a look at them on Friday after I have finished the break-in. I used the original ZR-1 block and I am glad that I did. It has Dart heads and a Torquer1 intake with a holey 750 dp mech. Will install the Ignitor2 tomorrow night and the MSD6 AL and Blaster2 coil should be in next week. Looking for low to mid 12's with my new setup.

Could you explain to me what that actually is and why you set them to 0 lash. If I understand correctly that setting would give you a very short close duration. How does that setting effect performance?
thanks,
Dean

Many of the new valve components are designed to be initially set at 0 lash. If you do the typical 1/4 - 3/4 turn past you may end up bending your rods ever so slightly. I forget the technical name for this type of valve system is called off hand.

Please post

Please post the procedure. This is something that I have been putting off for a while.

Thanks

Jeff

I will post the procedure tomorrow. I do not have the valve sequence with me and I do not want to guess at it.
Dean

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom