Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Vapor Canister routing

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello everyone,

I noticed a strong gas smell in my garage after driving. I looked around, and it turns out the previous owner disconnected the vapor canister.

I looked in my AIM and I see that the canister had 3 hoses going to it:
1) back to the gas tank
2) to a solenoid inline between PCV valve and the canister
3) directly to the PCV valve.

Since my car is no longer using the computer (retrofitted to a carb) the solenoid doesn't do anything.

How can I hook up my vapor canister?
I was hoping someone with an older car could tell me how it is setup on theirs, and I could do the same.

Thank you very much!

On my 79 for instance, both sides of the canister have hoses that merge and "T" into the PVC line, and one side has another that goes to the carb base, the other side has another that "T's" into the EGR valve line...the hoses that merge are called the "purge hose" I think.
My 77 just has two, one from the tank and one to the base of the carb.

:)

Seems to me you could pull the solenoid and butt the lines together. You could purchase the '80 AIM and look at the '80 set up. Should be about the same without the computer.

:)

The solenoid is gone, and the hose that goes to it is blocked off.

Could I just take the line that went to the solenoid and run it to a manifold vacuum source? It sounds like that is how the '77 was setup.

Thanks!

New confusion:

Taking a closer look and see something i missed before.
There are 2 large ports on top of the canister and 1 small one.
There is also 1 large port on the bottom.

I've re-checked the AIM and it seems that:
the 2 large ports on top are for vacuum
the small port goes to the fuel tank
the bottom port goes to nothing

Does this sound correct? THanks!

The bottow port on my 76 has nothing on it, the ones on the top, one goes to the gas tank, and ones goes to the manifold vacuum source.

If still original, all ports should be used. Last year I replaced my vapor canister due to fuel smell. I also removed the emissions components. Below the ports on the canister I believe they are labeled. If you need further assistance I can send you a pic of my old one and check my installation.

Thanks for the help.
I think i have it setup for now.
I'll drive it for a while and see how it goes.

For a vacuum source do i need to use something at the base of the carb (i.e. feeds all of the cylinders), or can I use a vacuum source directly on the manifold (i.e. mostly feeding the cylinders that use that runner)?

If still original, all ports should be used. Last year I replaced my vapor canister due to fuel smell. I also removed the emissions components. Below the ports on the canister I believe they are labeled. If you need further assistance I can send you a pic of my old one and check my installation.

Sorry for the long delay:) I could use a pic of that just to be sure this 79 is hooked up right, I have found a few things that are wrong, like that black thing thats in the line running to the brake booster was installed backwards??????
thanks
GC

Sorry, forgot about this. I'll take some pics later and post.

Thanks, I have that diagram and a box full of hoses:)
I guess I will just wing it, none of the hoses have a "T"
for connecting to the Pvc line like the diagram says so
I guess I will find one and try it, if your line doesnt
connect to the Pvc let me know, please.

Do the bottom two got to the Pvc?

Here are a couple of pics that show you the connections from carb and PVC down to Vapor Canister.

Thanks alot :) Now I know where that bracket on the back of the alternator goes.

Now I know that I am missing a bracket on the back of my alternator!

:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom