Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Vararam intake

zagger

Corvette
99 C5 Convertible
I've just bought the new Vararam VR-2B intake on e-bay. Bought it on impulse but now I'm having second thoughts about the purchase. Can anyone tell me from experience how the system worked for them. Do you like it, can you tell a difference in performance and have you had any problems. Normally I would test it and come to my own conclusions but with this thing it's such a chore to install I would really hate to go through it and regret it. Thanks for any and all input. Regards, Zig.

I installed one on my friends 2000. I also bought one for my 99, will install when I get some time.

It was a little PITA to install but nothing really bad.

Noticable differance in the mid and upper RPM ranges. It does take the computer some time to adjust, but I have no doubt that its good for 2/10ths in the quarter on a stock LS1. (Doesnt sould like much but 2/10ths at over 100mph is a bunch of car lengths)

No "after" time slips yet.

Ask CO GEEZER how he likes his. He won one at last year's CF in Colorado Springs. I watched as they installed it on his Vette. Not too hard of an installation.

SAVE THE :w

I have had one on my Z06 for about 3 years. I cannot fully separate the effects of two things I did at the same time, but hear me out. I could run the quarter mile in about 13 flat at 108-109 with my stock Z06 at the local strip. I added the Vara-Ram and drag radials at roughly the same time. I picked up about 0.5-0.6 seconds (12.42 best) and 4-5 MPH (113.X best). I attribute the elapsed time mostly to the drag radials (better traction) and the better trap speed to the Vara-Ram. Trap speed is mostly a function of vehicle weight and horsepower.

The only real concerns that I have involve water ingestion and filter quality. I understand that the newer ones are better than my unit in both regards.

Mine did not fit quite as well as I would have liked, either. I like the unit; it is still on there. But I hope the newewr ones are somewhat improved.

WOW, these are impressive numbers for just an intake.

Living in So-Cal water ingestion is not a big concern for me. The quality of filter and surging problems are a concern, at least what I read about it. Being nose feeder potential of inhaling bugs and small road junk seams inevitable. How often do you clean the filter and is it easy to get to it.

The drag radials were a BIG part of the improvement. I also learned how to drive better. So it is hard to say how much was due to the intake system. I believe it was worthwhile.

The installation took several hours, as you have to be able to get under the car. It is fairly straight-forward, and no shroud cutting is necessary.

The filter is pretty easy to access, as well.

I did indeed win the Vararam including installation at the 2007 CAC Cruisefest. Thank god it included the installation because as I've said before (check the other posts on Vararam) if I had done the installation myself it would have taken me a couple of days and at least 2 pints of blood. There are a couple of tricks to make the job easier but if you don't have a lift or way to get under the car it may be easier if you remove the hood.

I've had it almost a year now and have never raced the car so don't have any way of compairing times however by my SOTP it feels much stronger at the higher rpm's and the sound combined with my Corsa Touring Tiger Sharks is awsome. Interesting to note that on a 350 mile trip in the high altitude mountains from Pagosa Springs to Denver when I decided to behave myself and drive pretty much speed limit I averaged 31.4 mpg which blew my mind. I had never gotten over 27 or so before. I did install a pair of Z06 screens in the duct openings to keep from sucking up small children and economy cars but with only 2-3k miles on the system (my annual mileage) I haven't yet checked the filter to see how much dirt it is collecting. I too have a concern about the hydrolock potential but I haven't driven my car, nor would I, in a heavy rainstorm or dirt roads. Others have voiced this concern but I have never seen a posting or talked to anyone that had first hand knowledge of such an occurance.

The one item you might watch closely when you install your system is that the filter section seems to sit about 1/4" too high so that the bridge to the throttle body has a tendency to work loose and rise off the anchor pegs on the radiator cover and rub agains the hood insulation pad. Others mention it with their installations but I haven't yet attempted to do any modifications to make it fit better.

In summary I like the system, I keep reading that it is probably the most functional ram air system on the market for the C5, it looks great (I like to show my car) and if it ever has problems I still have all the original stuff and can convert back easily. Advice, take a look at a completed installation and talk to someone who has done one before you jump into it. Good luck.:)

The one item you might watch closely when you install your system is that the filter section seems to sit about 1/4" too high so that the bridge to the throttle body has a tendency to work loose and rise off the anchor pegs on the radiator cover and rub agains the hood insulation pad. Others mention it with their installations but I haven't yet attempted to do any modifications to make it fit better.

That was my experience as well.

vararam

I installed the vararam b2 in my c5 and noticed more seat of the pants power especially at speeds above 50mph. I feel it is the best cold air intake on the market. install was about 3 hours. If youtake your time and install carefully, it looks like a factory piece. eramos.

Thanks for all the input. I'll be getting the Vararam on Monday and installing it over the weekend. You have put me at ease about this system, it seams that all the benefits out way the cons. Thanks again, Zig.:w

I installed the Vararam last week in my 99' c5. I can feel the difference over 50mph under heavy throttle. It is not a install you want to hurry through. I put the car on ramps about 10 inches off the ground which gave me enough room to get under and work. I did remove the hood, it would not be fun to install with the hood on. I do have a trick that makes sure nothing gets by the filter as I was a little concerned about that. You need a piece of thin closed cell weather strip to place around the edge of the filter after you install it into the housing. When you attach the shoots to the front bumper take your time and add spacers if needed but if you need longer screws be careful because if they are too long they will come through the nose and you will be real unhappy. If you need help call me. 763-443-7253 I wish I had someone to call when I did mine.

If you need help call me.
Thanks for the offer:beer. I'm curious what my unit will look like when it comes in. I think I'll dry fit everything outside of car, if there is a fit issue for the filter I can make a plastic shim or spacer for the mating surfaces. I'm fortunate in that I have full CNC plastic shop at my disposal with practically unlimited supply of materials. I'll definitely will put the car on jacks and use the opportunity to change my stat and all fluids.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom