Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vararam system

Corvette
2000 Silver coupe
I just recently purchased the B-2 vararam up grade kit at Carlisle,since I have the old type filter that came with the unit in 2003. After installing all the new gaskets, and filter I could not begin to get the air box lid closed. Even the old filter was a bear to get in and sealed. Has anyone else had this experience with the vararam system?

Brunox,
Jim (DRTH VTR) installed a VaraRam system in his Z06 about two years ago, and I don't recall him talking about the fit issues you've described.

Take a look at the thread Jim started on this subject when he installed his, and see if it answers any questions for you.

LINK

:w
-Patrick

I did not have trouble getting the filter in and the air box closed. I have the old style filter. There were some fit issues with the installation, but I am no mechanic. The little pegs that the air bridge fits on don't fit that well. The whole unit is about 1/4-3/8" too high. I just live with it. I like the Vararam and believe it gained me a significant improvement in quarter mile times. But I do worry about hydrolock under extremely wet conditions. I got caught in some real gully-washers on the way to CruiseFest this year. It would take just the right circumstances to fill the intake with water, but the consequences would be just disastrous. The Vararam has supposedly received some design changes that make it less likely, but I take precautions in wet conditions.
Jim

Hey brunox,
Yep, agree...... When I replaced the filter with a K&N unit, I could hardly get it closed back up....... but I do like the performance so I, too, live with the issue..... By the way, I have the old unit (one of the first - I think - sold on the East Coast)......... :cool

Update after contacting vararam via mail the tech support guys called me and ask if the problem had been solved? I advised them that no it has not . back on 9/06 when I contacted them with my problem ,they said they would send me the upgraded air box ( top) and it is now 10/17 and I still have not received it. I was advised that due to some ooooover site it was over looked and it will be shipped out. I will keep yous informed.

VARARAM

Stay on top it it!!I had a spacer sent from TBYRNE ,they didn't send the metal fillers with it to prevent collapsing,and I waited about 2 weeks or longer for those to get here!!Customer service is lacking,IN MY 1 AND ONLY EXPERIENCE with vararam,which was ultimately responsible for sending out the part.I actually got so fed up,I sold the spacer the day the other package arrived!

I have the new system and when I installed it, it was a little high but definitly workable. Then, when I took my car in for suspension work my mechanic, who is a big promotor of them, noticed the install job and fixed it on his own accord, no it fits perfectly, but I don't know what he did.

Today I received the replacement top air box from Vararam, I didn't get a chance to put it on yet. Hopefully the fitting problem is solved.

I have a Vararam system that I had professionally installed (after I gave up because of the poor design and fit) in early 2005. The fit is fair to poor on all C5s I have seen and you have to be careful that the connections stay clampled together (they are much easier than the stock connections to simply pull apart) or you will get a check engine light and an O2 (oxygen sensor) code.

The low intake isn't as much of a problem as one might guess and it doesn't vacuum up water, leaves and such, but the filter will get much dirtier much faster than you might guess. The air filter needs to be cleaned at least every time you change engine oil and probably more frequently.

I sometimes take my Vette to a high quality "touchless" car wash and quickly realized that the engine must be turned off when the car wash is operating or it will suck up a lot of water.

If you ever want to see some really frightening messages on your dash (and sounds from your engine), disconnect the wires to your mass airflow sensor and then rev the engine. The last out-of-town dealer I stopped at did this to me (stopped because the Vararam came loose and I got a check engine light).

Vararam top box

I finally got around to installing the upgraded top box that Vararam sent me The unit seals up goodand tight. The lip on the top box is approx a half inch deeper then the previous unit,and is approx one half inch taller

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom