Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VATS programming question

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
I ordered another key for my 2000 Coupe from an on-line retailer. The new (blank) key has the same meter reading in the chip as the original, so I'm sure I ordered the right one. I was under the presumption that as long as those readings matched, I could simply take it to get cut in the shape of the original. Two key-making places said only the dealer could cut the new key. The dealer claims that even though the new key has the same chip value, it STILL must be programmed to the car before it can be cut (for 50 bucks), or the car won't start. Truth or fiction?

true

Well, I bought a VATS key at my local hardware store for $17.50. It works in my 01 just fine.

Lou

I have purchased a replacement key for both my '97 and 2002 C5's. In neither case did they need access to my car, a fob, etc. Obviously they did have an original key and a replacement key at the same time, but I was not aware of any knid of "programming" that had to be done.

4speed said:
Well, I bought a VATS key at my local hardware store for $17.50. It works in my 01 just fine.

Lou

I'd like the name of that store. I went to Home Depot and one other place; they both swore they could NOT cut a key like that. Let alone sell me one!

BulletTime said:
I ordered another key for my 2000 Coupe from an on-line retailer. The new (blank) key has the same meter reading in the chip as the original, so I'm sure I ordered the right one. I was under the presumption that as long as those readings matched, I could simply take it to get cut in the shape of the original. Two key-making places said only the dealer could cut the new key. The dealer claims that even though the new key has the same chip value, it STILL must be programmed to the car before it can be cut (for 50 bucks), or the car won't start. Truth or fiction?

FICTION. You DO NOT need any dealer programming for additional keys!!!! Many "hardware" stores don't have the equipment to "read" the resistor chip keys, so they do not stock the blanks. Any good locksmith should be able to do it! Had mine done in 10 minutes for $22.50.

PS - You can even read the resistance on your key with a multi-meter.

BulletTime said:
HI there,
Fiction, totally fiction.
Put the key in and start it.
That is all.
c4c5

Thanks to all who responded. You were right, of course, no programming necessary. Why is truth at such a premium these days?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom