Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

VICTORY!!! I'M THE BIG WINNER TONIGHT! Edelbrock Rules

M

Macgyver

VICTORY!!!

Im forever an Edelbrock guy! I did not have to even touch it! I turned the engine and it caught almost immediately. A very nice, quiet and smooth 700rpm idle. Put it in drive and reverse and it went to 500rpm. It idles completely different now. Too smooth and quiet. I didnt know it would end up like that. It sounds tame now. I think there were manifold leaks on the OEm intake which caused it to idle diff and run not as smooth.

Got her on the road running properly for the first time in 3.5months and I felt a tear. My face hurts from a half hour beaming smile. The Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock PS 1405 Carb, losing the AC, AIR, and Computer was definately worth it. The whole project cost $800-1000 which was spent over the 3 months just to get it running. The pedal feels like a feather though and just barely touching it makes the vette ROAR. Very smooth acceleration and plenty of it. Im driving a whole new ride! Holley sucks and so do their tech support guys. Boy did that 4150 suck.

I would for surely buy every single one of you a few rounds of frosty ale that have helped me more than I could imagine. And just for chimming in and giving me support earns ya a beer as well. I really really appreciate it.

Holley sucks and so do their tech support guys
:beer :beer :bar :beer

it's a little harsh to compare a new edelbrock to an old holley.they are two diffrent types of carbs with their own features and benifits.
if you are one who wants a good starting, good running carb that needs little adjustment, the edelbrock is the babe. If you are more of a mechanic and can properly tune a carb,most of these types like the holley.
i recently bought a 1968 holley carb and just put it on the car and away she went. to my knowledge it was never worked on, she fired right up and idled, only thing the float stuck. i have a kit, powervalve and jets on the way for under $60.
and your right, a poorly tuned holley can be a slow,uneven idiling,sucky piece of crap,but so can an edelbrock.respectfully yours,mike

Mike you're absolutely right. the problem is the holley has so many nuances ,tuning is an art. the Edel's are straightfoward i.e. the jets& needles. i just kept getting lost and the big e solved most of that.

robin

I agree.
Some dill put a Holley 650 DP on my old girl and didn't tune it. We couldn't get it to run and try to start it on a cold morning...forget it. A mate of mine has a Holley on his old Mustang and he said he has to drive her around the block twice before the carb & engine warms up and starts running right.
(We have some pretty long blocks here in Australia! ;LOL )

Anyway, we ditched the Holley for an Edelbrock QJet carb, best thing we did. The engine came alive!!

:beer
Tony

Well no matter was done I couldnt get it to even idle like the vette is ment to. The Edelbrock fires right up like its been running all day and I just turned it off for a second you know what I mean. The Q-jet never did and the Holley was a little less trouble than the Qjet. But the Holley wouldve cost at least another $200 to take to someone who knows them and tune it properly to run on my ride. Its only 6-7months old in the first place. If all those other parts on it are there to tune for racing than thats another thing. I can accept that and will say that they are not meant for me than. "To each His own." :) I was just left w/ a bad taste in my mouth and thinner pockets.

I am 100% an Edlebrock man for now. When I swap heads theyll def be my brand.

Anyone want a 4150 mech/manual?

Yeah I guess so now that you ask hmmmmm... As far as performance though I ended up needing to install a new HEI distributor as well and the spark from that is double what I had from the OEM one. It just has made such a difference since the manifold had leaks now that I remember what I saw and I replaced all the hoses. Probably also since I absolutely hate my Jeep Cherokee now.

Edelbrock Performer intake 2101
Edelbrock Performer Series Carb 1405 (switched from Q-jet to Holley to Edelbrock)
Accel HEI distrib plus Super Coil
New plugs and wires
New Water pump, thermostat
New Radiator
New Valve covers
New Battery, hoses
Being able to cruise with the tops off and enter the freeway at WOT..Priceless!

I plan to get new wires and plugs again next week since there was a lot of rich running conditions, backfires, black smoke, white smoke, and melted wires during the whole process.

was the radiator swap much of a task?

if you want some great plug wires get the moroso custom fit for chevy v8's :) look clean and they work sweet.

I may go for an edelbrock carb and the performer rpm heads in teh next month or so. I already have an edelbrock performer rpm manifold.

Getting the radiator was a mother to deal with but the actual removla and swap was not that bad. The biggest problem was the tranny fluid lines. I did make the mistake of putting in the radiator first, forgetting about the shroud. Boooo.

I bought the Ac Delco wires and I coulldnt get the 7 and 8 cylinder wires to reach the cap. Why the hell would anyone make wires that "should fit" and not "will fit comfortably." The autozone wires were the same deal so I had to combine the set to make ends meet. Ill def look into the Moroso wires.

Yeah I need to run a compression test to see if my bottom half is good. If so then Ill be doing a cam and head swap at the end of the summer. Probably 268 Crane cams and Performer Heads. Although there are some cats offering some decent engines on the interent for @$1500 range that make the same 375HP range that Im looking for. With a warranty of course. THat might be a better route for me.

Macgyver said:
I bought the Ac Delco wires and I coulldnt get the 7 and 8 cylinder wires to reach the cap. Why the hell would anyone make wires that "should fit" and not "will fit comfortably." The autozone wires were the same deal so I had to combine the set to make ends meet. Ill def look into the Moroso wires.
http://www.niksweb.com/img/other/oil4.jpg

Perfect fit. They'd fit fine on my dad's 80 too.

Macgyver said:
Yeah I need to run a compression test to see if my bottom half is good. If so then Ill be doing a cam and head swap at the end of the summer. Probably 268 Crane cams and Performer Heads. Although there are some cats offering some decent engines on the interent for @$1500 range that make the same 375HP range that Im looking for. With a warranty of course. THat might be a better route for me.
Why stop now? Keep going! :D

What parts did you need to connect your 1405 carb to the tranny kickdowna cable and the throttle cable? I can't seem to get mine to connect... Any pictures...

I noticed that no one has said anything about Carbs from Demon,Predator,AFB or Carter. I would be curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on them.
Chiller

I was hoping that someone might have knowledge to pass on about these other carb manufacturers. I am always looking for more knowledge that will help me plan future projects.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom