Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vin number out of sequence

• Thread starter Thread starter jeffsic
  • Start date Start date
J

jeffsic

I was given a vin number for a 1969 corvette that I am looking at buying. The problem is that according to various books the last 6 digits should be between 700001 and 738762. This car has a sequence number before the 700001. I ran a check on the vin and it is valid as far as the police are concerned. It registers to a 1969 chevy. Anyone have any thoughts on this one.

Thanks

If you are considering buying, then you should have physical access to verify VIN? Is the 6th digit a nine? Can you get access to a copy of the title? Examine the title (both sides) before any purchase transaction. Is it an original title? Have you considered CARFAX? I highly recommend it.

If the last six digits aren't inbetween 700001 and 738762, it's NOT a 1969 Corvette VIN plate; what is the complete VIN number on the plate? Definitely something VERY fishy going on...

:(

Yep, all the VIN's should be between 194379S700001 - 194379S738762

I'm sure it depends on the particular state, but I do seem to recall hearing that most just use the original registration of the car. So, if someone mis-registered the car originally, that's what will come up if you do a VIN check with the state.

With the complete VIN, I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you when the car was made (sometimes down to the week).

Joe

KOPBET -- Have you considered CARFAX?

CARFAX will only run 17 digit VIN's.

Your CORVETTE is ineligible.

;)

JASON *** BRAND NEW MAGNECOR WIRES FOR SALE!!! *** 1979 L-82

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom