Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vin stamps on frames, how many??

kobi67

Corvette
1967 coupe, 1979 bought new.
I have pulled my 67 coupe body and can not see any VIN stamp on the rear left kickup?? I have a 65 frame that has the stamp in 2 places and you can see the frame dented at the stamp. My 67 and 79 both have no signs of a stamping in this area. Could it just be too rusted to see, and should I see a dent in the frame at the stamping area?? Maybe some time after 65 they only stamped frames in one spot.. Your thoughts?? Thanks, Kurt

kobi67 said:
I have pulled my 67 coupe body and can not see any VIN stamp on the rear left kickup?? I have a 65 frame that has the stamp in 2 places and you can see the frame dented at the stamp. My 67 and 79 both have no signs of a stamping in this area. Could it just be too rusted to see, and should I see a dent in the frame at the stamping area?? Maybe some time after 65 they only stamped frames in one spot.. Your thoughts?? Thanks, Kurt

The driver's side frame rail just under the door sill, and the driver's side kickup.

On mine, it was pretty much impossible to read all the numbers clearly. No dents on mine. Maybe it depends how angry the worker was when he was banging them. ;)

When I painted my '67 frame with the body on, I could feel and see the VIN# on the top frame rail near the driver's seat. I cleaned that area real good and rubbed grease into the #. Then took a paint stirrer and and applied a 1/4" of fiberglass filler and pressed the stirrer real hard on the # until the glass set up.

Then I pulled the stirrer out and had an impression of the VIN, only it was backwards. Then I lightly sprayed the impression with black engine paint and lightly sanded off the #'s with 600 sandpaper and then scanned the impression, which is below. PT :D

framevin.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom