Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vintageair thoughts?

ablue73

Corvette
Instead of reinstalling the original AC compressor and recharging it, I am thinking of going with the Vintageair Gen 5 system. It will run about $1400.00, but is it worth it? Anyone
have any experience with this unit? I know Vintageair has a good reputation, but?

Instead of reinstalling the original AC compressor and recharging it, I am thinking of going with the Vintageair Gen 5 system. It will run about $1400.00, but is it worth it? Anyone
have any experience with this unit? I know Vintageair has a good reputation, but?

I went with an aftermarket ac system for my 72. Rather then mention the company I would just say do your homework and compare the systems. Some use the console controls others had controls mounted under the dash. There is a lot of work removing the original heater box on both sides of the firewall. I like the fact the eng bay is cleaner. I haven't installed the compressor yet since I had to swap the heads and exhaust. I did find the tubes on the new box were no where near correct, I had to rebend them to connect the heater hose, pretty lousy if you ask me. All in all it wasn't worth it for me. If you are in a area where you drive the car daily and need ac then it's probably worth it. For me I drive with the windows open on nice days only so I don't need it.

Vintageair and other systems.

Thanks Gary. I live in So. Cal and typically leave the windows open until the temps get up to 95 or more. So your suggestion to leave things as they are is a good one. I've had the car for 13 years without any heat or ac. I'm just thinking now about resale value and the wife's comfort.
This post is part of my doing my homework. Does anyone know of other ac-heater systems out there that I can look at other than Vintageair. I know the heater core needs replacing and the ac compressor was removed before I got the car. I don't need to keep the car original. Just better comfort and resale.

Thanks Gary. I live in So. Cal and typically leave the windows open until the temps get up to 95 or more. So your suggestion to leave things as they are is a good one. I've had the car for 13 years without any heat or ac. I'm just thinking now about resale value and the wife's comfort.
This post is part of my doing my homework. Does anyone know of other ac-heater systems out there that I can look at other than Vintageair. I know the heater core needs replacing and the ac compressor was removed before I got the car. I don't need to keep the car original. Just better comfort and resale.

I believe I selected classic auto air, I would have to go back and see. The biggest concern I can was with the controls, I wanted to keep them in the stock location and this worked well. With the exception of the heater core tubes being bent wrong the system was ok to install. I had the motor out at the time so that helped. I also had the gauge panel out.

I have to say I never had ac or working ac in any of my vettes. I do use the heater though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom