Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: voltage regulator for a 60

Vinny

Corvette
1967 Marina Blue Coupe
I'm looking for a voltage regulator for a 1960 with a 30 amp generator. I have some sort of aftermarket(with no markings) and I'm getting an over voltage reading with the engine running (15.5) volts. my temp gauge is acting up as a result of this. Would you recommend a mechanical VR as opposed to another solid state? Am I looking for a 1119001 or a 1119003 if mechanical? If not what would be a reliable
30 amp replacement ? thanks, Vinny:confused

You sort of imply that the aftermarket VR on your car might be solid state. Can you remove the cover? If so, do you see any obvious adjustments? If it is adjustable, I see no reason to replace it. Just adjust the output Voltage to something more appropriate..... say around 14.3 to 14.5 Volts.

If the present VR turns out to be non-adjustable, a 9001 regulator in good condition will work just fine. Its current limit is typically 25A, as I recall, but that's not an issue. It just means your generator won't get to work as hard.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Thanks I found out that it is a wells vr605(autozone). I dont know if it is adjustable. , but I will check it out. I did find out that these are temperature sensitive and it was about 35 degrees in my garage when I was running it. I will have to let it warm up then check the voltage. I still may have an issue with the temp gauge because it reads 220 when at operating temp and my IR gun says 182 degrees. the gauge checks out when grounded so my sending unit may have taken a dump. thanks again for your input. vinny

Thanks I found out that it is a wells vr605(autozone). I dont know if it is adjustable. , but I will check it out.

I just looked up a VR605 and it appears to be a mechanical VR, just like the original one for your car. I'd suggest trying to adjust the regulated Voltage per the instructions in contemporary shop manuals.

I still may have an issue with the temp gauge because it reads 220 when at operating temp and my IR gun says 182 degrees. the gauge checks out when grounded so my sending unit may have taken a dump.
Your car is a fuelie, right? If so, that fuel injection unit will love you for anything you do that reduces underhood temperatures.... such as changing to a 160F thermostat and ensuring the cooling system has enough capacity to operate at the the thermostat temperature.

Jim

non adjustable

I removed the top on the regulator and there are no adjustment screws.
the points appear to be ok. I guess the only way to know for sure is to change it out. thanks:w

Vinny - I am having the same temp gauge problem with my 59. See my post from today. I changed the voltage regulator and still have the same problem. Hope you get your's fixed so I will know what to do.

:w Roger

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom