Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vortex Ram Air Vs. VaraRam Intakes

Don&Kelly

Corvette
2000 Red Coupe & 2008 Crystal Red Metallic Convert
A friend of mine has a 2003 C5 and wants to add a cold air intake to his corvette.

He's decided on either the Breathless Vortex Rammer or the VaraRam VRB2 system and is looking for some advice.
He's heard rumors that one of these systems can take in water & cause his corvette to hydro lock. I've told him I do not believe it unless he drives his corvette into & submerges the nose in water.

Any one actually know any facts about either of these systems??

...I've told him I do not believe it unless he drives his corvette into & submerges the nose in water.

I can tell you my experiences on the Callaway Honker air inlet/filter system. It is a "open shroud" system like those however, there are some key differences in its design which have proven to make a difference. When it comes to testing, Callaway Cars reported that no system outflowed/outperformed the Honker. The quality IMO, is superior to the rest of the industry!

At Carlisle in 2005, it should be noted that there were a bunch of used airboxes in the Callaway Cars "for sale" bins. I asked why... Apparently, they were the leftovers from testing. They bought every major system and tested it on their test vehicle. one they were no longer of use, they sold them cheap!

I have over 15,000 miles on Corvettes with Honkers. I have never had any issue whatsoever. I have driven in sun, showers, downpurs, snow, sleet, etc. Name it, I have seen it. Callaway Cars has easily tripled that number in their own testing.

Here is a story with some of the background on the Honker: http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/COTM/2004November/cotm.htm

Here is a link to the Honkers: http://callawaycars.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=33 I hope this helps

I have the Vortex Rammer and haven't had a problem in rain. I don't drive my car in the rain deliberately but there have been times when I'm caught in the rain and have no choice. I don't believe that driving in the rain will cause hydro-lock but you should avoid puddles or areas of water where the depth is over 3"-5". I can't remember what warnings were included in the Vortex package but I do not believe there was any mention of not driving in the rain. Nor was there anything about driving through puddles but that's a common sense thing if you've got an aftermarket cold-air system.

You could hydro-lock your engine with the stock air filter by submerging your car in water. Just a thought.

A friend of mine has a 2003 C5 and wants to add a cold air intake to his corvette.

He's decided on either the Breathless Vortex Rammer or the VaraRam VRB2 system and is looking for some advice.
He's heard rumors that one of these systems can take in water & cause his corvette to hydro lock. I've told him I do not believe it unless he drives his corvette into & submerges the nose in water.

I spoke with Ernie, at Breathless Performance, today and he said that unless you submerge the nose of the car in water there should be no chance of your friend hydro locking his engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom