Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

W/strp kit Q:s

NewVetter

Hi all, have an 82 and bought the weatherstrip kit... just trying to repl the Ttop rubber now... removed old and looking at new. Should I have bought, or is there some type of glue that should also be used too? It looks like part of the old weatherstrip is simply stuck to the glass from being on there for 24 yrs. Can't really tell if glue was used too. I'm guessing no but figured would ask before assembling. Also, if know, should all rubber in kit be installed just rubber to car, i.e. no glue anywhere? Answer if get time, THX, regards.

Well, I can't speak for your year, but for my long gone 66 and my 72, the WS was attached using a yellow WS adhesive. I use 3M Weathersrip Adhesive, available in most auto parts stores. You can apply it neatly, according to the directions, or you can slop it on, if you want it to look original. ;)

Gary

GaryS said:
Well, I can't speak for your year, but for my long gone 66 and my 72, the WS was attached using a yellow WS adhesive. I use 3M Weathersrip Adhesive, available in most auto parts stores. You can apply it neatly, according to the directions, or you can slop it on, if you want it to look original. ;)

Gary

gary is correct as far as at least through 78 (i have a 78 pace car and have recently re-done mine). who ever sold you the ws kit should have told you (and sold you) ws adhesive. the most commonly used is 3m brand. the ws tacks (and screws) into place, but it is secured with the adhesive that is specifically designed for ws use. i assume the 82 is also the same. a quick check of your assembly manual should substantiate that.

steve

I replaced mine on the '81 a couple of years ago,and I removed ALL the old glue ans w/s b/4 putting down new adhesive.I had purshased a kit form corvette central and it came with everything I need for all the weatherstipping on the car.

Thx all... yes sounds like need w/s adhesive for most if not all rubber in kit (9 pieces). I found this link (below) for door ws install, courtesy of supercar.com. Ya know, I spent a good 1.5 hrs installing just the one pass side windshield w/s piece! haha, very slow process on that one. :>) Regards.

http://www.supercar.com/installdoorseals.asp

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom